You are not logged in. Please register or login.

mickronson
 Rep: 118 

Re: Chinese Democracy Chart Positions Thread

mickronson wrote:

Prefer the demo myself, altho its recording/mixing quality was so bad compared to a finished track, its hard to say what it`d been like with more attention.. it has more of a classic sound to the final version.  Still a good song in whatever form

skippy
 Rep: 33 

skippy wrote:
war wrote:

am i better than you? no. do i know more about music than you? no. but i do honestly believe some can process more than others. i can smoke a joint and listen to catcher (album version) in awe as i soak in the collage of sounds. others can't and that is why this song is not for everyone. no song, ofcourse, is for everyone. you will never find me voluntarily listening to sweet child or novmeber rain.

Millions of stoned hippies loved the grateful dead, too. 19

I prefer to not have to be stoned to appreciate Guns and Roses.

Saikin
 Rep: 109 

Saikin wrote:

It's such a dissapointment that Chinese Democracy is down to 33 on the Billboard 200.

If only Axl had just done a straight ahead rock album like Nickelback.  Then he would be pushing 2 million copies right now like they are.  What a sad day.

roll

skippy
 Rep: 33 

skippy wrote:

Yes, if only. smile

Then we'd all be bitching about it being generic.

He can't win...

Well, there is one way.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

It didn't need to be a Nickelback record. If it needed to be anything in comparison to a different band, this album needed to be GNR's Down on the Upside. A tad experimental, each track being able to stand on its own, and a few tracks that just kick ten tons of ass. This album is none of those things. Its mired in mid 90s influence(which is when it should have been released), all the songs basically have the same theme and its a theme that the public will not relate to, and there's just nothing to grab Joe Public by the balls.

I'm not surprised that the album didn't set the world on fire. What does surprise me is that in ten years he was unable to write one single track that could hit the rock world over the head with a sledgehammer. This same album/same tracklist would have did MUCH better with just one extra song to take it to that next level. Instead its mainly just 'Boo Hoo, some woman left me 16 years ago and I'm mad and even worse, Slash screwed me over'. This is an album for hardcores only. It has zero appeal outside of these forums. If you need an example go play this record or at least a few tracks from it in any environment. Within minutes someone will ask you to play something else. I wouldn't be surprised if Axl himself was asked to play something else years ago when he was playing it in strip clubs.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

Certaintly the big disclaimer of the post-CD era so far...

Great album... had it been released in 1996. Even the most amazing songs... are dated by 10 years, if not more. I think Madagascar is the most glaring example. So's If The World.

I recently had CD on, with a friend casually getting in my truck. Shackler's Revenge was on, and even though they'd already heard the album, their first reaction was - "what is that crap?" Then it donned on them it was Axl Rose and the new GN'R. Then it was - "that's... interesting".

None of these songs are wowing people. On any level. Even the ballads, which have the most cross-over appeal, are not skyrocketing in popularity, and reactions on those are mixed at best.

When people say "there aren't any catchy songs". Bullcrap. There are plenty of catchy songs imo. Better, If The World, Sorry, This I Love... all have catchy melodies and choruses. They just ain't blowin' people away. One of the interesting things that about GNR's past material is it had the ability to be catchy, but also have you sit back and say "wow, that's an amazing piece of music". I can do that with the new material. But I know i'm biased.

I hate to say this... buzzsaw told 'ya so.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

Madagascar shouldn't have even been on the record.

You can actually picture a few of these songs(Better, Sorry, CITR, The Blues) on top 40 radio in the mid 90s next to such artists as Matchbox 20, Live, Jewel, Seal, etc. In 2008 it just doesn't fit in with anything. This is the type of album you listen to while alone. Just like if you had the urge to listen to an Ace of Base album tonight.

It would be like Nazareth waiting to release Hair of the Dog in 1992. Even though that's a great record, the album would have been very awkward in that pop culture time frame.

Have no idea when Sorry was written exactly(haven't read all the Axl transcripts yet), but it just screams 1994 and would have fit seamlessly between songs such as Live's Selling the Drama and Danzig's Can't Speak on the radio.

slashsfro
 Rep: 53 

slashsfro wrote:

I think some of these songs in earlier/demo mode could have been as hits--CITR, Better, The Blues.  CITR and The Blues sound like they could have been from UYI2 in that they aren't far removed from the classic gnr sound.  Better had a poppy techno sensibilty that screamed 1997-2001.  The main problem is that in the final versions (2008) the crappy production ruins the songs, at least for me personally.  CITR is butchered with the bad guitar parts which sound like they don't belong and the removal of Brian May's guitar solos.  Better has the annoying drums parts.  The Blues I can't quite put my figure on what went wrong there.  When I first heard The Blues in 2001, I thought it sounded pretty close to the "original gnr."  The elements were there: piano intro, catchy Axl lyrics and vocals, guitar driven with some Slash like solos.  As time went on, I not sure why or how that song deteroriated into what it is now. 

This next question is kinda OT:  Why wasn't this album released in 2000-2002?  With CD's release some questions have been answered; but can anyone give a reasonable answer as to why this thing wasn't released in one of those three years.  In late 1999-early 2000 there were several articles written in mainstream magazines regarding this project, Chinese Democracy.  I remember Rolling Stone had two articles--one in 1999 and one in 2000.  In 2001, GNR performed at HOB in Las Vegas and RIR 3(or 40.  Both those events garnered positive reviews.  In 2002, we had the VMA appearance.  Those events/pub got people talking about Gnr again and that would have been the best time to release this album.  I'm just trying to figure out what the last 6yrs have accomplished because the final versions of these songs don't sound that much different than the demos.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

Are Metallica, AC/DC. Megadeth,etc. making music to the standard they set decades ago? Hell no.

I disagree with the megadeth statement....Dave mustaine has reinvented the megadeth (And metallica) sound that he set out to create in the early '80's

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:
D-Machine wrote:

It isn't because the music is "Too Complex" *my favorite excuse* or what have u, I just think it sounds very manufactured, very robotic, very tight and the music just doesn't breathe. too much studio magic etc etc.

sometimes I just want to hear a kick ass guitar solo without 2 billion effects on it.

The VR and GNR thing is perfectly easy to see

VR, dirty bluesy riff rockers could use a bit more focus a la Axl

GNR  too many ballads not enough balls which the old band lends

I guess the thing with CD is, it is almost like Axl forgets he is Axl Rose. I don't want Axl to be Elton John or Freddie Mercury or Rob Zombie or Trent Reznor

He is Axl Rose.......... U know? does that make any sense? 

its my whole who is GNR argument cause for me, VR sound more GNR than GNR.

I agree axl has tried to please too many people...i say pick a style and go with it...we know he can accomplish anything he wants...if he wants ballads make a cold play type album....if he wants an old school type gnr album then make a bunch of rockers thats my opinion...

as for VR sounding more GnR than GnR...well thats cuz duff and Slash have the spontenaity that made gnr

as for the million of effects..i agree its a pretty dense album...as a person that plays music i found it very hard to take it all in i had to listen to it many times to get it all

Board footer