You are not logged in. Please register or login.

harmon420
 Rep: 20 

Re: Jason Lives: FRIDAY THE 13TH

harmon420 wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

I liked Scream 1 and 2, the third one wasn't working as well though to me.

Anyways...usually i'm not a fan of reboots...but I dug the Texas reboot...and so i'll check this out...not released here till 12 march though!

I'm not too keen on remakes either but, this one would be hard to fuck up. Hopefully this remake will help the chances of a Freddy VS Jason pt 2.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

Freddy vs. Jason 2 ain't gonna happen friend.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

Just watched His Name Was Jason. Very good feature about the series. They had tons of people talking about the series, and it was a nice touch including Felissa Rose. Never understood why she didn't become a big star.

My favorite part is the segment where they're interviewing the women whose characters survived each movie. They each are open to coming back, and one of them suggest a 'Friday the 13th: Survivors' type film.

EXCELLENT idea.  Would be cheesy as hell, but would be a fun film and would be great for the tons of horror fans who are nostalgic for the original series(I-VIII).

All these women are still young enough to pull this off, but time is running out obviously. To bad this franchise was in a state of flux for so many years or this probably would have happened years ago.

Von
 Rep: 77 

Von wrote:

I pre-ordered mine and it still hasn't arrived. I feel like everyone's seen it but me. Well, glad to hear its worth a watch.

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:

Watched it. Certaintly the most complete F13 documentary ever made, they even have John D. LeMay discussing both Jason Goes To Hell and the TV Series. Pretty complete stuff there.

My only complaint is the pacing. I didn't like the back and forth stuff. I liked the much more complete presentation of H25 (Halloween), that went film to film, and discussed it all.

Oh, and is this wrong to say... ALL of the women still look fucking amazing.

God damn

Von
 Rep: 77 

Von wrote:

It ain't wrong. Alice was, is, and will always be hot. 'Nuff said.

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:

Just to let everyone know, most horror fans are trashing this documentary across the board.

Most common complaint - pacing horrible

Most common afterthought - H25 was better

And i'd agree.

tejastech08
 Rep: 194 

tejastech08 wrote:
Von wrote:

I'm actually skipping the blu-ray and already ordered the DVD for the first one. I think blu-ray is well and good for recent blockbusters, but we're really destroying the illusion of a lot of older cinema by putting things into high def that were never intended to be. The reviews I've read of the blu-ray transer for Friday the 13th say that it only highlights the flaws in the makeup FX and the general low budgetness of the production. You know, I've defended blu-ray on here and I may be retracting a lot of those remarks soon. Is it a superior technology to DVD? Sure, in technical terms and in sheer storage capacity. But why do you want to destroy the illusion of film so badly? Why this trendy push towards high def that's taken over every single thing in the lives of people who otherwise can't comprehend what high def even means? Outside of an elitist, niche home theater market, blu-ray - like laserdisc before it - offers truly little in the way of expanding cinema. I was watching one of the Pirates flicks on blu-ray the other day. I don't need to see the makeup lines on Keira Knightley or stare at the pores on Johnny Depp's nose. I think someone jumped the shark here. Spielberg once held the argument that film should be preserved as just that, film, and was largely against the growing digital trend of the time. Since then, he's been won over, but his basic argument of film existing as this grainy-upon-closer-look artform still holds true. It's taken over a decade for many of the horror and generally whacked out indie videos of my video collection to make their way to DVD. Many were lost in the transition. More still will be lost in a transition to a format that most indie distributors can't afford and that there's no market hunger for. I'm sorry for the rant, but I just spent some time really kicking myself about which version to order and just finally threw my hands up. I think despite what the studios want to desperately push to boost the (for the first time since DVD's debut) lagging sales of home video, standard DVDs will win out because they are more compatible, portable, affordable, and simply good enough for the demands of 99.999% of the films being released as well as their intended audiences.

Von, the notion that Blu-ray is somehow too good is ridiculous. I remember when I saw Pirates 3 in the theater, aka on FILM itself, and you could clearly see Depp's nose pores during the first shot of him in the movie. It was a deliberate shot on the director's part. Blu-ray attempts to accurately portray what audiences see in the theater. And for the record, I re-bought all 3 Pirates movies on Blu because the DVD's look like crap even upconverted. I notice it especially during the big special effects shots. The difference is staggering. The DVD's look blurry for instance in Pirates 3 when they are sailing through the arctic ice stuff and at the end during the big battle in the rain maelstrom. The level of clarity on the Blu version reminds me of what I saw in the theater and I am grateful to have it.

Having said that, I do feel that it's a waste to buy older low budget films on Blu-ray. Might as well just watch the DVD upconverted. One good thing for DVD owners is that usually the Blu-ray has a new master and in many cases there's a new DVD released at the same time as the Blu with the same master down-converted to standard def. There's nothing wrong with cleaning up the dirt and age crap that has occurred for older films, even if you'd rather not see poor special effects in high def. Having a cleaned up film in standard def DVD is pretty good, and it's something that wouldn't happen if Blu-ray wasn't around. One exception to the rule of buying low budget films on Blu is Halloween. It looks excellent on Blu and it's because Carpenter did not use very much blood in the film, so the clarity of how fake the blood looks doesn't ruin the experience.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

tejastech08
 Rep: 194 

tejastech08 wrote:
russtcb wrote:

The only older movies I tend to buy are first time buys. For example, I never did get around to buying any of the F13 flicks so I bought this one on BD.

I think BD is great as a restoration medium for classics. The Godfather movies looked like total crap on DVD and they restored them for BD. They look better than they've ever looked. Black and white movies like Casablanca look better than they've ever looked due to recent restorations for high def. But for low budget 80's horror movies, it's really a waste of money for the consumer to pay extra for high def. If the company is willing to re-master it for BD and also put out a DVD side by side, then I'd go for the DVD every time. As I said, there is one exception to that rule but it's only because of the limited amount of visual effects in Halloween compared to other slasher flicks.

Board footer