You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Saikin
 Rep: 109 

Re: New AIC Album Sept 29

Saikin wrote:

Legendary rock band ALICE IN CHAINS has set "Black Gives Way To Blue" as the title of its first new studio album in more than 10 years, due on September 29 via EMI's Virgin Records. The band and producer Nick Raskulinecz (RUSH, FOO FIGHTERS) began recording last October at Studio 606 in Northridge, California and recently finished mixing at Henson Studios in Hollywood.

Guitarist/vocalist Jerry Cantrell, drummer Sean Kinney and bassist Mike Inez reunited in 2005 at a benefit for victims of the tsunami in Indonesia. They began touring with new guitarist/vocalist William DuVall the following year.

"It's been a meaningful journey and a hell of a story," says Cantrell. "We're very excited to have a home at Virgin/EMI and are looking forward to writing new chapters in the book of ALICE."

"We're in a good place," adds Kinney. "We've made a record that we're really proud of, we've got a team in place that's passionate about the music and we're excited for the fans to hear the new songs."

"ALICE IN CHAINS has had a big hand in the evolution of music and I still can't believe we get to work with them," says Rob Stevenson, President of Virgin Records. "This music is going to remind people what we've all been missing."

"There is a tremendous sense of excitement and dedication within EMI around the world as we head into this album release," added Jeff Kempler, EMI's COO of New Music for North America and the U.K. "ALICE IN CHAINS' place in rock history is undeniable and when people hear this remarkable new work it will be clear how timeless, potent and visionary this band is."

ALICE IN CHAINS were among the headliners at the recent Rock on the Range festival in Columbus, OH. Next up is a July 18 show with KID ROCK at Comerica Park in Detroit, to be followed by festival shows with METALLICA overseas, including an August 1 date at Marlay Park in Dublin and an August 2 show at the Sonisphere Festival at Knebworth. Earlier this year, the quartet took a break from recording to perform a string of shows in Australia with NINE INCH NAILS.

Over the course of their remarkable career, ALICE IN CHAINS has garnered multiple Grammy nominations, sold more than 17 million albums worldwide and achieved 11 top 10 hit singles.

Video footage of ALICE IN CHAINS' February 28, 2009 performance at the Soundwave Festival in Adelaide, Australia can be viewed below (clip uploaded by "backpackdave08").

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbe … mID=121762

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

At first I was against this, but i'll give it a shot.

I REALLY hope it's good. A good AIC return, could really hit the spot.

But like with Queen & GN'R, it'll be make or break.

If it hits, it'll revive them. If it flops, it'll be the end of them perminately.

FlashFlood
 Rep: 55 

FlashFlood wrote:

according to duff mckagan its the best album of the past decade.

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:

What was good ten years ago then?

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
FlashFlood wrote:

according to duff mckagan its the best album of the past decade.

According to me, Duff's full of shit.

Axl S
 Rep: 112 

Axl S wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

Think he means the current one. Cause the past decade would be 1991-2000. I think Dufff means everything since the start of the 21st Century.

metallex78
 Rep: 194 

metallex78 wrote:

Really looking forward too this. If this is half as good as the live show they put on when I saw them a few months ago, this will be a MONSTER of an album.

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:
Axl S wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

Think he means the current one. Cause the past decade would be 1991-2000. I think Dufff means everything since the start of the 21st Century.

O...k...

What was good 9 years ago then?

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

PaSnow wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:
Axl S wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

O...k...

What was good 9 years ago then?

That'd make a good thread/elimination poll. Best of the 2000's?  Probably Audioslave's first or American Idiot.

Anyway, like you, I was a bit against this at first. Even when Cantrell was touring & playing alot of AIC (Early on, shortly after Layne's death). However, times gone by, and why should the band not use the bands name. I understand in honor of him, but on the other hand, Layne had his problems. Major problems, and I believe the band sincerely misses him, but wants to play on too.

I'm looking forward to it. I've heard great things about the new singer, but the few youtube vids I've watched I wasn't blown away. It was decent, then again, he was covering Layne, so we'll also need to see how he writes. Hopefully, they don't try to continue writing about addiction and being down all the time, just write whatever comes, not what Layne wrote about. I'll give it a chance, but it might not do very much anyway, like Army of Anyone or Blind Melon, so they'll need to prove themselves anyway. Even though they're AIC, they're probably not getting a free ride on the name alone. After all, look at GnR.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
PaSnow wrote:

That'd make a good thread/elimination poll. Best of the 2000's? .

I agree. I don't think we've ever done that one on either site. I'll start it up and we'll see how many want to participate.

No Layne=No Alice in Chains. That's how I feel, and I'm sticking to it. I'll of course give this a listen, but they really should have changed the name.

I think Cantrell should have got together with people like Cornell, Anne Wilson, Ament, etc. and paid tribute to Layne with one killer album by a bunch of the grunge alumni instead of continuing Alice In Chains.

Layne deserved a tribute record.

I'll never forget seeing them live. It was when they first hit. They were openers, and only a handful had showed up during their set. Watching them do a killer performance of We Die Young, Man in the Box, Love Hate Love,etc. with like 50 people in the arena was surreal. I was like 5 or 10 feet from the stage, and Cantrell was looking at me for most of the set. Was funny and kinda strange. I'm sure he didn't want to look at me, but there was no one else within his vicinity to look at. 14

I remember him doing an interview a couple years later, and he mentioned how on that tour he didn't like how the crowd just stood there while they played. I felt like he was referring to me. 16 While I did just stand there, I was really enjoying the show and hopefully in hindsight he realizes that just because people weren't moshing didn't mean they didn't like it.

Layne had those dreadlocks at the time as well.

Board footer