You are not logged in. Please register or login.

James
 Rep: 664 

Re: SG To Play First Show April 16th at the Showbox

James wrote:

Show is officially over. They have major balls by not playing Black Hole Sun. I think that sends a message loud and clear.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

Thanks for the updates!

Just thinking the same about BHS. I want to hear the boot.

jimmythegent
 Rep: 30 

jimmythegent wrote:

so excited by this reunion. Have really rediscovered some of their old stuff again and listend to Badmotorfinger after a few beers last night for the first time in years. What a trip that album is.

interesting setlist - certainly didn't play it safe there, lots of older stuff and 'Beyond the wheel'? really? Thats crazy - Cornell hasnt sung in that register in a long time

Im praying for a new album and world tour - this band were so underappreciated and now its becoming pretty clear how influential time has proved them to be

Saikin
 Rep: 109 

Saikin wrote:

I just got home, the show was fucking incredible.  I didn't actually get tix, I made it on the band's guest list some how.  I still can't believe that just fucking happened. 

Seriously, Beyond the Wheel.  The crowd was in a collective state of shock and awe when Cornell nailed it perfectly.  And it was hilarious, because he just looked at all of us with our dumbstruck looks and smiled and continued to scream.

The band was tight as hell.  It seemed as if they hadn't even missed a day.  And Cornell... WOW.  A 40-something should not be able to do that. 

His voice also seems a lot cleaner than his recent solo material.  It sounds a lot more like Soundgarden-Cornell again. 

Ben is the greatest bass player to ever walk the face of this planet.  Period.  And the way he acts on stage... I have to wonder what that guy is on.  He goes from acting like a robot, to twirling, to standing entirely still for Blow Up the Outside World, to pretending he is shooting the audience with his bass, to acting like Frankenstein... the guy is nuts. 

And James, the dynamic in the band seemed to be a very positive one.  Cornell and Kim were laughing the whole night and hugged once.  Ben and Matt were joking around and Kim kept giving Ben crazy looks. 

A lot of audience interaction too.  And a lot of thanking the fans for all the positive feedback for the reunion. 

I've never seen a crowd go as nuts as when they started playing Spoonman.  For me it was a huge relief as I've been frustrated all day trying to get in and waited 2 and a half hours outside of the Showbox waiting to get tix. 

Only 3 people got in that didn't have tickets.  I am very lucky to be one of those three.  Words cannot describe what just happened tonight.  I'm still in shock.  So after I sleep on it and the reality of what just happened sinks in I will post more.

The setlist was amazing.  I was glad they didn't play Black Hole Sun.  Though I would have liked to hear more from Superunknown and Down on the Upside...  Can't bitch though, I saw Soundgarden's first show in 14 years.  9

Saikin

Saikin wrote:
jimmythegent wrote:

so excited by this reunion. Have really rediscovered some of their old stuff again and listend to Badmotorfinger after a few beers last night for the first time in years. What a trip that album is.

interesting setlist - certainly didn't play it safe there, lots of older stuff and 'Beyond the wheel'? really? Thats crazy - Cornell hasnt sung in that register in a long time

Im praying for a new album and world tour - this band were so underappreciated and now its becoming pretty clear how influential time has proved them to be

They certainly weren't under appreciated tonight.  And judging by the audiences reactions, they were sorely missed as well.  Seattle-natives are an entirely different brand of people when it comes to music.   Outside of Seattle I agree, they are a highly underrated band. 

But they're back now and kicking even more ass than when they left. 

I can't even describe the way the audience reacted.  I've NEVER seen an audience react like that.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

Lucky bastard. Glad you got to experience it, man. That was a killer setlist.

Saikin

Saikin wrote:

nudedragons.jpg
soundgardenshowbox1.jpg

cornellsoundgardenshowbox.jpg

kimthayil2010.jpg

James

James wrote:

4527670005_f9d49ef0b0_o.jpg

^that should be an album cover.

"You'™re kind of witnesses to our rehearsal" said frontman Chris Cornell of the newly reunited Soundgarden, thirty minutes into the band'™s first time playing together on stage in 13 years, a secret fan show in anticipation of their Lollapalooza headline gig in August.

For days, the music community of Seattle had been buzzing about the just announced NudeDragons (an anagram of Soundgarden) show, whose tickets sold out minutes after going on sale yesterday morning.

Anyone not lucky enough to get a ticket waited hours for high-priced miracles to happen underneath the Showbox'™s "NudeDragons Sold Out" marquee.

A few young men and women stood holding "name your price" signs, though one guy's limit was $180 because that's all the money he had. Some speculated that a few fans got in by bribing the club'™s bouncers for $2500. A passerby wearing tie-dye said to one person desperate for a ticket, "Good luck in life."

One did feel lucky, though, once inside. The crowd included some of the greats of Seattle'™s storied music scene: Mark Arm and Matt Lukin of Mudhoney, ex-Shins member Dave Hernandez, Sub Pop co-founder Jonathan Poneman, photographer Charles Peterson, Built to Spill drummer Scott Plouf, and Exene Cervenka of Los Angeles punk legends X.

The band emerged at 10 PM in fitted black T-shirts and jeans. Cornell's curly hair was shoulder length and about as big ever. Bassist Ben Shepherd, drummer Matt Cameron, and a grayer lead guitarist Kim Thayil rounded out the quartet.

They opened with "Spoonman," the song named after street performer Artie the Spoonman, who used to entertain at the nearby Pike Place Market.

The bulk of material in their 100-minute set hadn't been played live since the early nineties and included "Hunted Down" and "Nothing To Say," the out-of-print 1988 Sub Pop single that they'™re re-releasing as a limited Record Store Day 7" single today.

There was little talk from the stage and few interactions between the band members, although Cornell thanked the crowd after every song.

There would be no "Black Hole Sun" for this more selective hometown crowd, although hits like "Rusty Cage" and "Outshined" worked their magic.

http://www.spin.com/articles/reunited-s … attle-show

--------

There was a Mother Love Bone reunion the day before this at the same venue, but the Soundgarden reunion caused it to go completely under the radar.

James

James wrote:
Saikin wrote:

Ben is the greatest bass player to ever walk the face of this planet.

A LOT of people would laugh at that, as he certainly is not from a technical standpoint, but he deserves to be up there. He has such a distinctive tone to his playing. Should be a crime that this guy wasn't highly in demand for his services since Soundgarden imploded. You recognize his sound immediately. I remember when I first listened to him and Cameron's Wellwater Conspiracy record, I could immediately tell it was not him playing bass without having to see album credits. Same thing with Hater.

Like you said, he has a unique stage presence. They didn't play Jesus Christ Pose, but during that song he'll usually walk around the stage playing the bass with it about an inch from the ground.

Someone at the show said he used a pick a lot during the show, and that is going to alter his sound although maybe he did that as the set is revolving around the original lineup's material.

Hiro was in attendance but did not get onstage. I think we can now officially rule out Hiro being involved in any capacity as this definitely would have been the show to bring him up there.

nugdafied wrote:

Ben Shepherd's stage presence has always irked me. I noticed it right away back in the early nineties & I kind of wondered if it was going to come up again with the reunion. Sure enough, the first review I read, there's someone talking about it. I just don't get the guy.

Board footer