You are not logged in. Please register or login.

James
 Rep: 664 

Re: Telephantasm certified platinum

James wrote:
Saikin wrote:

Telephantasm came via UPS today.  Was looking through the book and found this:

"This is not a replica of A-Sides, nor is this the long awaited B-Sides album that I assure you is forthcoming and full of Soundgarden originals that have never before been compiled, nor collected under the Soundgarden rubric.  Nor, is this the collection of oddities and covers that will constitute another collection we have planned." - Kim Thayil describing Telephantasm. 

So they have at least 2 more releases planned, and more if they really decide to record.  9

Sounds like you didn't get the 7" limited single of Black Rain with Beyond the Wheel from the Seattle show as the B Side. Wish I had pre-ordered this.

Yeah we're definitely getting more releases. 2011 is more than likely going to see the entire vault cleaned out. Hell, in the latest Rolling Stone, Thayil even mentions unreleased stuff from Screaming Life which is just insane. I am looking forward to the 91-96 treasure the most, but the fact they have leftovers going that far back really shows how prolific this band was in all phases of its career.

“There are definitely other releases coming down the pike. For one, that B Sides  record I've been threatening for 15 years now. There's live material that we've been mixing, there's some material that was never released, that was intended for [Screaming Life]. And I certainly wouldn't rule out the interest amongst the band in doing some new stuff."

Axl S
 Rep: 112 

Axl S wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

Nah, Guitar Hero is already on the decline due to oversaturation. Even Rock Band 3 has been held back because it makes more monetary sense to just keep fattening the DLC stuff for RB1 & RB2.

Music games are starting to fall and will continue to do so. It was the future two years ago, now it's peaked and on the backside.

They'll have to find something else to sell music.

To be fair those games could have had some longetivity but Activision got greedy and flooded the market with hundreds of Guitar Hero game killing the entire rhythm music game genre. Which is a shame because Harmonix have a good thing going with Rock Band sad

On a more on topic note, I'm glad to see this doing well. I just want more new material! 9

Stepvhen
 Rep: 58 

Stepvhen wrote:

Jesus new mixes you say? On what tracks?

James

James wrote:
Stepvhen wrote:

Jesus new mixes you say? On what tracks?

Hands All Over is definitely different as the bass is higher in the mix and there's bits of guitar in certain places that couldn't be heard before. Honestly I'm not even positive its new as I did not have the Louder than Love singles and this may have been on a previous release of some kind, even if extremely limited. It's new to my ears though.

Remix thing pushed a bit too much on the SG sites as the majority of the set looks to be what we've all heard before.

This live version of Jesus Christ Pose stomps ass. If/when they release a live cd/dvd, I want the whole show. It was bold to even put this on Telephantasm as Ben is clearly fucking up the song with random noodling in the beginning and then they recover from it quickly without skipping a beat. In a lot of the live vids I've seen him do this stuff before and I know its just part of his style but they really highlight it on this version by placing it so high in the mix. 

Also have a new appreciation for Blow Up the Outside World after hearing the live version on this. I don't even even remember that song being played at that specific show and I wish they had included Mailman from that show.

Worst song on this set is Pretty Noose from SNL. Takes me right back to that time frame and why I didn't really give a shit at the time. Cornell sounds like he'd rather be anywhere else. Took balls to put this performance on the album.

After listening to it I don't despise the track list as much as I did before. It does what its supposed to do....give a retrospective to a casual/new audience while giving a few treats for the hardcore base.

Now bring on that B sides disc. I'd sell my mother for polished versions of Kyle Petty and Karaoke. If/when this B side disc comes down the pike, it needs to be treated like its a new album. Just too many good songs to let it wither on the vine. It's gonna pop up on Best albums of 20-- lists everywhere so do something with it.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

So I need some Soundgarden fans to help me out...

Bottom line - is this worth a purchase?

Saikin
 Rep: 109 

Saikin wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

2 cds and a dvd for $14- Yes it is worth it.

James

James wrote:

ANY GH/Best Of collection that has as many extras as this deserves to be purchased  if you have any interest in the band.

Jesus Christ Pose(live)
Flower(BBC)
Fell On Black Days(video version)
Get on the Snake(live)
Room A Thousand Years Wide(single)
Pretty Noose(SNL)
Blow Up The Outside World(MTV)
Black Rain

Even for a 2 cd set, that's a lot and that's not even factoring in the DVD. They could have easily re-released A Sides and just padded a second disc with songs from the albums.

Saikin
 Rep: 109 

Saikin wrote:

Also have a new appreciation for Blow Up the Outside World after hearing the live version on this. I don't even even remember that song being played at that specific show and I wish they had included Mailman from that show.

I love Blow Up the Outside World.  To me it's such a powerful song.  I think I have a soft spot for it because it's a song I connect to.

I'm also starting to feel sorry for anyone who has to try and record Soundgarden.  I can understand why their early stuff all sounds better live than in the studio for me now.  These guys kick so much ass live.  There's this menacing energy flowing through (most) of their live stuff.  Seeing them live, watching concerts, and listening to this makes me look at them in a whole new light. 

Spoonman sounds innocent in studio form compared to the live version.  Jesus Christ Pose sounds even more badass live, same with Like Suicide.  They take a slower and softer song, Like Suicide, and it sounds heavy and full of energy live.  Whereas most bands are the exact opposite, they do their best work in the studio and the live versions come across as bland and very rehearsed. 

They should have traded out Pretty Noose with that live version of Mailman.  That one is just incredible.  Or 4th of July, that is another amazing live song.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:
Saikin wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

2 cds and a dvd for $14- Yes it is worth it.

Where is it $14 bucks? I keep seeing it priced at $27 dollars.

James

James wrote:
Saikin wrote:

I'm also starting to feel sorry for anyone who has to try and record Soundgarden.

It'd be the easiest job in the world. All you gotta do is sit there while they do all the work. 14 I do get your overall point though.

Also take into consideration they didn't even like producers coming in, especially Cornell. Cornell said years ago that the band already had the basic tracks down before even going in to record an album and they didn't need an outsider coming in telling them what to do or how to sound because they already knew what they were going to do. I don't blame him. Each of their albums only took weeks/a few months to record and they obviously didn't need help.

edit: One of his quotes regarding that on wiki:

"a fifth guy is too many cooks and convolutes everything. It has to go down too many mental roads, which dilutes it."

I can understand why their early stuff all sounds better live than in the studio for me now.

Those EPs and Ultramega OK do have some real gritty production. Nothing to Say is an incredible song, but place that on one of the later albums and it would have been 10x better. Like you mentioned in the download thread, even the demo of Beyond the Wheel sounds better than the album version, which is insane.

They should have traded out Pretty Noose with that live version of Mailman.

We were getting Pretty Noose no matter what. 16 I don't even like the song but they could release ten different Telephantasms and that song will always make the cut. When the B Sides and/or box set come out, its demo will most likely be on it.

As far as live goes, they're not fucking around. Besides the fact each is amazing at their craft, they all pretty much stand there and when moving, do very little of it.

Look at GNR....Fortus jumps ten feet in the air while Finck danced like a retard sissy yet people had the gall to wonder why they sounded like shit. 16

Board footer