You are not logged in. Please register or login.

smoke
 Rep: 77 

Re: Soundgarden Discussion (King Animal out NOW!)

smoke wrote:

Fan club tix for Boston went on sale at 10 this morning. I can't get anything but a single, trying to buy three.

They are already a ton of them on StubHub for $120 and up. $350+ EACH for people with 3 available (original price ~$64) 417

Lomax wrote:

For me this album is all about eyelids mouth, rowing and non-state actor. This is excellent stuff.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
Saikin wrote:

I don't expect this album to do good on the charts.

Agreed. I'm thinking of buying another deluxe edition on Itunes with demos. Same tactic I used with M.I.A. Buy multiple versions to help prop it up on the charts. Will probably buy it on vinyl even though I RARELY listen to vinyl anymore(yeah, I know its the superior format 16 ).

smoke wrote:

Fan club tix for Boston went on sale at 10 this morning. I can't get anything but a single, trying to buy three.

They are already a ton of them on StubHub for $120 and up. $350+ EACH for people with 3 available (original price ~$64) 417

Fuck I didn't even know tour dates were here yet. Concentrating too much on the album. 16

Riad wrote:

For me this album is all about eyelids mouth, rowing and non-state actor. This is excellent stuff.

Non State Actor def one of the best on the album and may possibly be one of the best songs in their discography. This song has a DOTU feel with an Ultramega OK vibe. On the subject of that first album, I'd like them to remaster that at some point but its unlikely. Thayil loves the real gritty sound of that album.

Non State Actor

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KIDInlJJFb0

eyelids mouth

Bass on that is fucking killer. Ben has one of the greatest bass tones in history.

monkeychow wrote:

I agree with James.

I'm a VERY casual soundgarden fan - love the obvious singles a lot but never got hardcore into the band's deeper material.

Picked this album up yesterday...and it's kind of lost on me so far.

Going to give it more time though.

Why am I the only person swinging from the nuts of By Crooked Steps? All you guys into heavy shit(including those that don't like Soundgarden) should be creaming over this track.

Here's Chris and Matt talking about the song....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_JMtQcftd3U

The song.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vpJPIpM_Ot4

9 9 9

Saikin
 Rep: 109 

Saikin wrote:
Kim Thayil's Beard wrote:

Why am I the only person swinging from the nuts of By Crooked Steps? All you guys into heavy shit(including those that don't like Soundgarden) should be creaming over this track.

James, I think to answer your question you only need to look at one of your previous posts.  This is an album for hardcore fans. 

By Crooked Steps is killer.  The whole album is.  As you said, none of it is filler, the first album they have created like that.  So I think it's only natural that us hardcore fans will have very different opinions of it.  So far, Attrition and Eyelids Mouth haven't hit me they way they have others.  Right now, it's a toss up between Taree, Rowing and Bones of Birds for best song on the album.  But that is likely to change, because the whole fucking thing is good. 

I do think that By Crooked Steps, Non State Actor or Worse Dreams could all easily be singles, though I'm leaning more towards Worse Dreams doing better on the charts.  The problem is, Been Away Too Long is the only song that sounds like a straightforward single.  Compared to the rest of the album it seems like an average rock song, even if it's still better than everything else on the radio right now. 

This album is amazing from start to finish.  And I think it's wonderful that we all have such different opinions of which songs are best.  Most other bands out there now put out albums where it's clear what the best song or songs are.  Not these guys.  Because they put out an album where every song needs to be there.  Nothing is filler.  Everything is essential. 

PLEASE FOR THE LOVE OF GOD KEEP MAKING MUSIC!

Lomax wrote:

Just saw that Taree was written by Ben BEFORE the breakup.... That makes a lot of sense.

source: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DDFr1n9epeg

johndivney wrote:

there is filler on here defo - halfway there immediately springs to mind, & maybe a couple of tunes surrounding it: the album does sag in the middle. coulda done w/less but longer songs.
hopefully they make an even better one next time round. they are ridiculously, shockingly close to the perfection they attained thru '88-'94, they just need to cut loose & drop the soppy shit.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

Lomax wrote:
RussTCB wrote:

I'm sure everyone who wants the album has already acquired it, but I wanted to mention that Amazon tweeted that King Animal is only $3.99 all week.

That is one hell of a deal there. $4 for what has fast become a desert island album for me.

Rowing live in london:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dvVpNZMRzfU

smoke
 Rep: 77 

smoke wrote:

That sounded great live. Can't wait to see them here. Gotta say though, I would have loved to be able to see Ben playing, but he was the only one I didn't see.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:
RussTCB wrote:

I'm sure everyone who wants the album has already acquired it, but I wanted to mention that Amazon tweeted that King Animal is only $3.99 all week.

Just fyi for all of those paying attention -- that's MP3, not audio CD.

BUT... Badmotorfinger & Superunknown & DOTU are all $4.99 for their audio CD's right now.

Amazon Prime mother fuckers, BOOM i'm heading to Amazon.com right NOW! All I have is old cassettes.

Board footer