You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Saikin
 Rep: 109 

Re: Soundgarden Discussion (King Animal out NOW!)

Saikin wrote:
Intercourse wrote:

Does anyone have a feeing that this will be it from the guys or that this run will last?
My impression of Chris is that he likes being solo.

Will he simply use this as a vehicle to (yet again) try to get more people to like & buy his solo albums?

Soundgarden have been back since 2010 and Chris has still done a lot of solo shows in that time. Matt is also in Pearl Jam, so I don't think they will have a problem balancing SG and other projects. They've all matured, and I can't imagine them seeing the need to break up just because Cornell wants to put out a solo album as well.

I hope this run lasts. At least a couple more albums at the rate they are going.

Lomax wrote:
Intercourse wrote:

Does anyone have a feeing that this will be it from the guys or that this run will last?
My impression of Chris is that he likes being solo.

Will he simply use this as a vehicle to (yet again) try to get more people to like & buy his solo albums?

That would be like the Verve all over again.

The Verve were a huge alternative band in Britain. After their late 90's breakup their singer went on to medium success with his solo career. He later reunites with his the band to put out the strongest record in their catalogue, a record of deep cuts meant for the die hard fans.  They do some headline sellout shows at a large summer festival, Galstonbury, the British lolapoloza garner rave reviews, they drop the album the press blows up about how great it is, and then the singer leaves to do more solo stuff. When you think about it, Cornell had his hip-hop inspired album with Timbaland just before the Soundgarden reunion where Ashcroft has his hip hop type album with Kanye West's producer No ID, just after the Verve split the second time.  During the splits, the guitarist, who is one of the best guitarists of the alternative genre in Britan, fucks off into obscurity doing random bits and pieces on strange and out there albums.

I hope to the sweet baby Jesus Christofferson that you are wrong sir.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

jimmythegent
 Rep: 30 

jimmythegent wrote:

Right, I've lived with this album a week now and can only start to give an accurate and honest description at this stage. As is the norm with Soundgarden, there are so many layers that reveal themselves slowly over time. I'll do this track by track and make general comments about individual members. Suffice to say, this album, in my view, is perhaps the only time a band of this stature has managed to come back after a significant layoff and pick right up where they left off. That is to say, King Animal not only does not detract from their legacy, it adds significantly to it. It's an absolutely stunning return, and diehard Soundgarden fans couldn't really be any happier. 2 and half short years ago, this was practically unthinkable.

Been away too long:

An effective opening point with a killer bridge. Matt Cameron is the star here with sick grooves and fills throughout. Possibly my least favorite track, but a solid opener that in the wider context of the complete record, works very effectively.

Non-state actor:

I was distinctly underwhelmed when this first leaked a couple of weeks before the album, but this has grown like crazy. So many smart musical things going on here from the time shifts to the killer bassline to Thayils very subtle touches that lift the chorus. It manages to be heavy, catchy and funky all at once while retaining a distinct weirdness.

By crooked steps:

Things really start cranking now. This sounds like the bastard son of Kashmir on uppers. Absolutley killer song. Every band member monsters it here and Soundgarden have rarely sounded so pulsating. Absolutley love the melodic and rhythmic change-ups in the outro. The album is really hitting its stride now.

A thousand days before:

A somewhat mellow in parts, eastern tinged song with shades of Head Down (SG's finest moment?) and Switch Opens. This capture the mystical majesty of Soundgarden at their best. On the verses Cameron and Shepherd underpin beautifully Thayils meandering riffage. The lyrics sound mournful and longing and Cornell delivers some of his best lyrics since Euphoria Morning. A highlight.

Blood on the valley floor:

It's relentless now and time for a jackhammer blast of Badmotorfinger meets Mailman. Sludgy, doom-laden, off kilter riffage is the order of the day here and no one does it better than Soundgarden. Welcome back boys!

Bones of birds:

For me, another highlight. This is the Black Hole Sun or Blow up the outside World of the album. Darkly poetic and melodically beautiful, this finds Cornell musing on his mortality in the context of raising children. As a father of 2 myself, this song hits me at an emotional level and is quite a trip. The band just kill it as always - understated with huge, open, dynamic shifts.

Taree:

The song on the album for me that reminds me most of Down on the Upside. Interestingly, not a lot else on this album does. I know a lot of people have drawn more comparisons, but  the production alone on King Animal is much more polished than what was a far rawer sound on DOTU. Taree is a cool song with a great riff - there is plenty going on here, and this is one of those songs that again, you may initially dismiss as quite simple, but the layers come to the surface slowly. I imagine this will be a great one live.

Attrition:

Possibly along with the opening track, this is perhaps the least inspired track. It's perfectly serviceable, and offers up a fuzzed-out Queens of the Stoneage vibe. A little like Kickstand on Superunknown. Could have been left as a B-side and I would have been happy. In saying that, it does break things up nicely for what is a stunning last 5 songs and to that end, signals the final act so to speak.

Black Saturday:

Wow. Possibly the best song and the highlight of the album. Just stunning. New ground for Soundgarden too - this starts off with a very mid-period Zeppelin feel but the choruses just grow in intensity. Cornell is blistering on this one. The mid section takes a total left turn going into a beautiful trance like dream sequence. If there is one criticism of this song, I wish they'd have extended that part out further. But seriously, this is an intensely brilliant new sound for this band.

Halfway there:

Yes it sounds like a Cornell solo song, but luckily a darn good one and there are a lot of nice touches from the band that lift it beyond mere solo fare. Some have said it sounds out of place but for me it belongs simply as an accurate gauge of where Soundgarden have travelled in the last 16 years and the new influences Cornell has brought to the table. Very Beatle-esque and I expect this could well be a big hit.

Worse dreams:

Back into dark territory with swirling counter riffs and huge dynamic shifts again. For me, the choruses don't quite reach where I was hoping they might (The Day I tried to live) but there is much to love about this track.

Eyelids mouth:

One of the hidden gems. This is an unassuming, seemingly straight forward Sabbathy rocker. But as with all great SG songs, there are subtle intricacies that go unnoticed at first. Cornell hits it out of the park lyrically here again and Shepherd delivers a masterclass in groove laden rock bass playing.

Rowing:

They close things out breaking new ground again. Cornells soulful blues influence is all over this droning, driving, mantra-like song.  Cracking lyrics again, with a big Thayil solo to round things out. Lots of people are raving about this track - I like it, but don't love it - that may of course change.

Put simply, it's a great album and although early days, I'll put it out there that I think it's superior to DOTU. They sound so confident on this album.

It's been lovingingly crafted and honed - they have really taken the necessary care with their legacy and delivered an album that hardcores will love. I hear a couple of singles too - Crooked steps, Halfway there and possibly Black Saturday.

Matt Cameron and Ben Shepherd are the best rhythm section in rock and they solidify that assertion and then some on King Animal. They sound like they are having a blast throughout. All while casually trotting out the heaviest, grooviest and most intricate rhythmic and melodic patterns. Shepherd has long been the unsung hero of Soundgarden - surely after his performance on this record he will start getting the plaudits he deserves.

Thayil shines in his riffage and textural playing but is restrained on the soloing front. I occasionally wish he'd have burst out once or twice a little more, but it is clear he is taking a less is more approach on some tracks. It is great to hear this most unique of guitar players back again.

Predictably, Cornell is everywhere on the record and he doesn't disappoint. His voice is a little more worn but he it is clear he is much more in control - the breadth and scope of the tools at his disposal have grown immeasurably and he takes full advantage. His lyric writing is his best since Euphoria Morning.

There you have it. Clearly i'm a fan, but i have tried to be somewhat objective. I look forward to reading other fans' reviews!

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
Saikin wrote:

Bought the iTunes deluxe edition.  Soundgarden demos are always worth it.

I'm curious to hear James' opinion on the Worse Dreams demo.  I kinda like the vocal effect Cornell uses.  And with that vocal effect, he sounds the same he did with Soundgarden back in the DOTU era.  It's like the vocal effect used in Kyle Petty.  Guitars are also more prominent in the demo.

Love the demos although I've only listened to those a few times. At this early stage I am more into listening to the real album itself. The song that reminds me of Kyle Petty is By Crooked Steps. They're different songs obviously...I'm talking about vibe. Spewing venom with that "Fuck you, I'll kick your teeth in" vibe that is fucking killer and they've never fully utilized that EVER. Mailman one of my faves as is but that song recorded in that style with those lyrics would be insane.

i went in w/expectations that thayil was gonna have a bigger influence & expected some monstrous, epic psych jams, i was (half) expecting a slightly different direction. instead, & i mean i'm thrilled w/what we got, we got a (nearly) streamlined SG album, nearly 'all killer/no filler'. i just wanted a little more unrestrained monumental psych epicness. fuck the hits (tho i don't really mean that of course, cause if there was A Day I Tried to Live on here i'd be jizzing my pants like the rest of you guys). but like i say, hopefully next time they expand the formula cuase this is a great first step back. & when i say expand the formula i don't mean the pedestrian problem-rock of DOTU, i mean let thayil loose & rip out some Hawkwind influenced freakouts!

I've had issues in the past with Thayil not playing a bigger role but other than from a songwriting standpoint, it's intentional. He's always said the band gives him carte blanche but he only brings to a song what HE feels it needs. If a monster solo isn't required(and it usually isn't), he wont go there. He clearly has no ego at all because any other guitarist recording with those 3 guys would go batshit crazy in the studio on those songs, which would likely ruin the songs. I'd like to see Kim go wild more often as well but his subtle approach to Soundgarden is a very key ingredient to the band.

Excellent review Jimmy. I gotta have more listens before doing it song by song. Each time I listen to the album I hear new things and start digging songs I wasn't paying as much attention to when we first got the album.

I'll put it out there that I think it's superior to DOTU. They sound so confident on this album.

As a whole album, I agree it's better than DOTU. DOTU has filler. If I start picking it apart song by song, I would say the best songs on DOTU are better than the best songs on King Animal. A bit premature for me to say that though as we've listened to DOTU for years.

Having said that.....

Overfloater
Never the Machine Forever
An Unkind
Applebite
Switch Opens

King Animal lacks that quality, but in all fairness, so do about 99% of all albums.

King Animal is getting massive promo though. I see a commercial every time I turn on the TV. Massive promo while lacking a monster single is an interesting strategy. Cant wait to see first week sales.

Live to Rise was wasted. I know it was meant for the soundtrack and wasn't gonna be on the album, but it was THE perfect comeback song. When they realized they had created something that catchy that the masses would dig, it should have been saved and gave The Avengers a different song.

BLS-Pride
 Rep: 212 

BLS-Pride wrote:

I fuckin dig this record on a listen or two. I need to listen to it more. When I do I will post more.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

Loving the reviews guys. I don't have the physical record yet, and I absolutely refuse to listen to any of it until that happens.

So i'm still in the dark. I'm enjoying reading everything. smile

Saikin
 Rep: 109 

Saikin wrote:

Cornell said in an interview today that KA stands up to their previous albums but doesn't have the same appeal they do. This is accurate, but it doesn't mean the album is bad or not worthy of being a SG album. It's not as commercially ready as others, and with what kind of "rock" is right now, I'm glad.

The more I listen the more each song stands out. Ben and Matt fucking kill it. Ben does not get enough credit for how incredible he is. If SG take another break he needs to do solo work.

Kim is also subdued in most parts. But it's clear that's his intention. I don't think he wants SG to be all testosterone driven all the time. The guy is highly intelligent and an amazing player. He adds amazing bits and pieces throughout the album that only add to the quality. In fact, it's clear no one is trying to outplay anyone else- these guys are a band.

Kim is listed as "lead and color guitar" in the booklet. Obviously, his own description of what he does. And it's a very fitting one.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

I'm just not feeling this album. sad

I've been a huge Cornell fan, Soundgarden was my favorite band, and is still up there. It's not fair to compare a new album with past albums, so I won't do that. Taking the album on it's own merit... I think the lyrics are following Cornell's almost adult contemporary approach to his last solo album, though it is heavier... The music isn't the problem, it's the lyrics. I think maybe because they feel so different. The songs themselves are more formulated than SG songs have been in the past, at least the first half of the album, going more with his Audioslave days. The latter have a more experimental feel to them in places, but nothing I feel right with. I don't know, maybe it will grow on me. But it was sort of how I felt about Revelations, it just felt... off. At this point, I'd like to hear another Audioslave album and I never in a million years EVER thought I'd say that. Again, maybe it will grow on me.

So far I like "Non State Actor," "A Thousand Days Before" and "Blood On The Valley Floor."

johndivney wrote:
Kim Thayil's Beard wrote:

i went in w/expectations that thayil was gonna have a bigger influence & expected some monstrous, epic psych jams, i was (half) expecting a slightly different direction. instead, & i mean i'm thrilled w/what we got, we got a (nearly) streamlined SG album, nearly 'all killer/no filler'. i just wanted a little more unrestrained monumental psych epicness. fuck the hits (tho i don't really mean that of course, cause if there was A Day I Tried to Live on here i'd be jizzing my pants like the rest of you guys). but like i say, hopefully next time they expand the formula cuase this is a great first step back. & when i say expand the formula i don't mean the pedestrian problem-rock of DOTU, i mean let thayil loose & rip out some Hawkwind influenced freakouts!

I've had issues in the past with Thayil not playing a bigger role but other than from a songwriting standpoint, it's intentional. He's always said the band gives him carte blanche but he only brings to a song what HE feels it needs. If a monster solo isn't required(and it usually isn't), he wont go there. He clearly has no ego at all because any other guitarist recording with those 3 guys would go batshit crazy in the studio on those songs, which would likely ruin the songs. I'd like to see Kim go wild more often as well but his subtle approach to Soundgarden is a very key ingredient to the band.

Saikin wrote:

Kim is also subdued in most parts. But it's clear that's his intention. I don't think he wants SG to be all testosterone driven all the time. The guy is highly intelligent and an amazing player. He adds amazing bits and pieces throughout the album that only add to the quality. In fact, it's clear no one is trying to outplay anyone else- these guys are a band.

Kim is listed as "lead and color guitar" in the booklet. Obviously, his own description of what he does. And it's a very fitting one.

these are both fair points & explain the situation perfectly.
but what i'd like to see if them changing the formula: this all seems to be driven by Cornells songwriting, but what i'm saying is there is scope for wilder & heavier stuff to be produced under the SG name. Cornell's songwriting is very 'safe' . i think, especially given the great form Matt & Ben are in, to really stretch the formula & take SG into new territory. i'm a little disappointed they weren't more ambitious & that cornell relies so heavily on a particular songwriting style, verse-chorus-verse.
listen, there's nothing wrong w/that, especially when it's mostly flab-free like KA. it's just we've had plenty of SG material like this & the reformation was a change to really blow the doors off and blow minds, but cornells relatively pedestrian songwriting scuppered any chance of that. (& i think his crappy lyrics would actually work better on crazy psychedelic jams).

it's not about monster solo's or testosterone driven rock, it's about going all out & making heavy as fuck psych music that people, men & women, kids & oldies, can get completely off on. can you imagine if they did an Orgone Accumulator or Master of the Universe? give SG that kinda recipe & it would be some kind of perfect. as it is, i'm left underwhelmed by the lack of unapologetic epicness which i think would suit their sound brilliantly.

Board footer