You are not logged in. Please register or login.

dave-gnfnr
 Rep: 16 

Re: Something is up with Pitman

dave-gnfnr wrote:
Neemo wrote:

Didn't Ron say in one of his chats that due to studio layering that there was lots of opportunities for 3 guitarists for both old and new tunes?

Which doesn't make sense since UYI GNR never need an extra guitar player and NU GNR just split the solos on the old songs which slash did solo. The layering thing was just an excuse.

You could easily do the GNR set lists of the past tours with just two guitar players.  Most times one of the guitar players were always just sitting there playing nothing which was stupid.

They could easily split them up pretty easily if you really need an extra guitar melody on part of a few songs just let Pitman do it on the keyboard.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

An example of a song....reading sheet music  ..guitar 2 does all the rhythm ...guitar 1 does leads...then guitar 3 and up does misc fills and backing tracks intermittently through out the track....if there is a dead spot the extra guitarist can double up on rhythm

sure u don't need all the guitar parts in a live setting and most bands dont add everything from the studio tracks into a live performance ...but if u want to have them there, especially in most gnr songs, there is ample opportunity for 3 players ... as proven in the modern live era of gnr .... problem u could get tho if not mixed properly is that guitarists can create a bit of a wall of sound and drown out other instruments and/or vocals

GnR is a guitar driven band...and as a guitar player myself...giving guitar parts to a keyboardist sounds counterproductive 16

And to qualify ... I don't think they need 3 gutarists ... but if they chose to do it we all know it can work

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

And they don't need 2 keyboardists either imo

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:

Watching Pitman from O2 2012 he is wearing a fucking mid drift shirt. He adds subbassom every fucking song. It buries shit in the mix and sounds too mushy. He needs to go.

FRANK CANNOT PLAY BROWN STONE AT ALL. horrible.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

and most bands dont add everything from the studio tracks into a live performance

Yeah because they don't need to. Back in 87-93 when watching GNR concerts(or being at the show) I wasn't thinking "Hmm..this doesn't sound right. They need another guitarist". I don't think this when listening to Soundgarden either.

And they don't need 2 keyboardists either imo

I'm with ya on this. I take Pitman's involvement as something Chinese related is on tap because I don't get why they want him otherwise. I've seen some people say he's needed on tracks like NR but I guess those people forgot GNR has been performing that since 1991.

slashsfro
 Rep: 53 

slashsfro wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

I'm with ya on this. I take Pitman's involvement as something Chinese related is on tap because I don't get why they want him otherwise. I've seen some people say he's needed on tracks like NR but I guess those people forgot GNR has been performing that since 1991.

Outside of NR (which Axl can play), is there any song from the setlist (non-CD tracks) that requires keyboards?  To me both Dizzy and Pittman aren't really needed and just add to the clutter.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:

Pitman is a poor man's teddy zig zag that knows synth and pro tools. Nothing more. Remember that.

jimmythegent
 Rep: 30 

jimmythegent wrote:

I see Pitman as an onstage producer for want of a better term. Clearly he does production given his recent twitter around a hot SSL console (beaut desk btw). I think it's part of the modern sound and if we are to see a hybrid type deal, he will be pretty crucial with samples, triggers and the like...
I would rather him than Zig Zag any day.

As to the 3 guitarist thing - i for one would rather 2. Mainly because things can get very muddy and indistinct with too many live. There is a lot going on in GNR as it is and they have been notorious for mix and sound problems on stage. The more variables on stage the more can go wrong. It also kind of lent a 'cabaret' element to the 2009-14 incarnation. It was doable with Bucket and Finck because they were so distinct guitar voices and Fortus was a good element to kind of lay the basics down. But with Slash on stage, there is not enough room for 2 more nor is there a need for it.

On an unrelated note, it's looking more and more likely that my wife and I will fly half way across the world to San Fran once tour dates announced (=

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:

Pitman is a poor man's teddy zig zag that knows synth and pro tools. Nothing more. Remember that.

Oh bullshit. Jimmy is right above. Pitman in reality is kind of producing the show, as well as producing the albums, as well as being, well... Mother Goose.

I agree that GN'R with Slash and 3 guitarists is pointless, because Slash is an equal star to Axl. Think of it like this, do you think it would make ANY sense to bring in Myles Kennedy to sing some Slash solo & VR songs, while Axl took a powder? No. Why? Because Axl Rose is the fucking rock star people are paying to see. No different than Slash. This isn't like going to see Guns in 2002, or 2006-07, or 2009-14. Slash is GNR's LEAD guitarist.

Even if Axl's going to unearth some new Chinese songs and throw in maybe This I Love & SOD from Chinese I with Slash on lead, I still think in a live setting the songs will be re-tooled to feature Slash on lead, as he is a star equaled to Axl. He's not going to be sidelined to highlight Fortus, no matter the fact Richard was in the band for going on 15 years, and Slash was only there for 11, and now starting a 12th I assume.

Pitman ain't going nowhere SG. Even though I were prefer if JUST Dizzy Reed was back there. I think GN'R will see a 2 guitarists config again, before we see a 1 keyboardist config. jmho

Axl S
 Rep: 112 

Axl S wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:

Watching Pitman from O2 2012 he is wearing a fucking mid drift shirt. He adds subbassom every fucking song. It buries shit in the mix and sounds too mushy. He needs to go.

FRANK CANNOT PLAY BROWN STONE AT ALL. horrible.

Smoking Guns wrote:

Dude, just can it already.

What the fuck is "subbassom every song". Unless you mean "sub bass on". Sub bass brings out low frequency sound in the mix and makes it more audible. i.e. the opposite of burying.

Frank cannot play Brownstone* at all. I hear a different drum sound, now that I am looking for it after checking out a few youtube sounds, that said he isn't PLAYING it any different, just the drum setup is a different sound. Whether that his preference, his drum tech's influence or something that Axl or one of the guy's in charge of marhsalling rehearsals or sorting the mix (Tommy or Pitman respectively) prefer I couldn't say or know.

Pitman is a poor man's zig zag...

Here is a photo of a harmonica:

FTAPTXIGAA0EJIB.SMALL.jpg

and here is a photo of a professional Pro Tools setup

?listingPicid=48631

One is vastly more complex than the other. Care to guess which. Let's look at the CVs of Zig Zag and Pitman:

Zig Zag has done the odd harmonica or piano recording for some musicians and been a touring hand for others.

Christ Pitman has:
Lusk - Recording, production, mixing, mastering, lead vocals, multi-instrumentation in this Grammy-nominated band in 1996-97.
Tool - In 1994/95, Pitman toured with them and, in 1996, played synths on the song "Third Eye".

Two notable mentions from a production, sound engineering and performance POV. From a purely technically POV:

"Pitman has also done sound design and electronic work for Arturia software synthesizers, A Designs Audio [Peter Montessi], Waves Plugins, Waldorf Synthesizers, Apple's Logic Audio, Digidesign Plugins, Moog Synthesizers, Celemony's Melodyne, Ableton Live, Roland USA, Korg Music, Serge Synthesis [SMS], PlanB Synthesis [Peter Grenader], [Axel Hartmann] Neuron Synthesis, and Symbolic Sounds Kyma, Mandala Drums, Steven Slate Drums, Native Instruments."

In short the guy knows his shit and is a much more valuable asset than a harmonica player.

I'm sorry to crap on your memories of 1991 and I can understand why the old band has a special place for you... 

But I can't understand why you hate some of these old guys with such a passion, and your dismissal of what they could bring to the table is uninformed. I'm getting pretty tired of having to read this dumb fanboy shit about how awful these guys are and "how amazing it would be if Slash told Fortus to sit the fuck down, and produced the fabled VR album that never was from his back pocket and if Axl just came over it in an instant." It's just stupid.

Board footer