You are not logged in. Please register or login.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

Re: AFD_30

monkeychow wrote:
misterID wrote:

The AFD/LIES tracks on the GH were remastered and they sound fantastic,

I was not aware of that! I don't have GH cos I already had all the songs (Sympathy single etc). I should get a copy.

esoterica
 Rep: 69 

esoterica wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

Although I can see an option where if they only had 1 or 2 new songs this could be a way to reinvigorate the tour without the pressure for a full album - just piggy back it to an AFD remaster.

I honestly cannot see that happening.

If you like Guns N' Roses enough to see them in concert, you already have a copy of Appetite for Destruction. Or you just downloaded Welcome To The Jungle on iTunes so you can pretend you've been a lifelong fan. And I don't care how good the new material is, it's not fuckin Appetite for Destruction, and making that implicit or unintentional comparison is foolhardy.

If this was a halfway sensible band one of two things would happen:

1. A newly assembled Live Era '85-'87 album (Troubadour, Ritz, etc.) is bundled with the AFD30 release

2. The strongest cut of mid-90s GNR is finished and released as North American tour promotion. Think Doom And Gloom.

The former would appeal strictly to purists but give enough incentive to double dip. The latter would at minimum promote the tour and potentially pave the way for a new album (lol).

Here's what will actually happen: fuck all.

FlashFlood
 Rep: 55 

FlashFlood wrote:

If they release it through Nightrain you'll have to wait another 30 years to get it.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

Yeah we're definitely getting something. Praise Jesus.....or Axl.

I agree with wagzilla....they're not going to add new GNR and/or current GNR to any old remaster/box set/whatever. There's less than zero reason to do it.

There are several approaches to take with this.

A simple re-release
A remastered bare bones release
A deluxe edition with demos
A box set containing AFD, the demos, and a DVD of some sort

Out of those four options, my money would be on option 3. Hardcore fans have heard all those demos for years but the general public has not. They'll gobble it up like Roseanne Barr on a platter of loose meat sandwiches.

tejastech08
 Rep: 194 

tejastech08 wrote:

The news about Cornell is just another reminder how much of a miracle it is the Appetite 5 are all still alive. Drug overdoses, depression, liquor poisoning, concert riots...they've been through hell in their careers. One wonders if they can ever set aside the business bullshit for a real reunion.

jimmythegent
 Rep: 30 

jimmythegent wrote:

Was also thinking today in light of Cornell's death it is a minor miracle that all of the GN'R originals (and those who came after) are all still with us

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

Yeah we're definitely getting something. Praise Jesus.....or Axl.

I agree with wagzilla....they're not going to add new GNR and/or current GNR to any old remaster/box set/whatever. There's less than zero reason to do it.

There are several approaches to take with this.

A simple re-release
A remastered bare bones release
A deluxe edition with demos
A box set containing AFD, the demos, and a DVD of some sort

Out of those four options, my money would be on option 3. Hardcore fans have heard all those demos for years but the general public has not. They'll gobble it up like Roseanne Barr on a platter of loose meat sandwiches.

I agree with the third option as well, but possibly minus the demos, and plus a bonus DVD.

I just think an 30th Anniversary AFD sells itself. No demos necessary. If you got the big deluxe edition it could feature the original album and its mixed cleaned up, a new 2017 remaster disc, possibly a disc of 2017 re-records mixed with remixes, an audio live show from the era remastered, plus a DVD featuring various live performances of AFD songs from the Not In This Lifetime tour cleaned up in the studio, like anniversary live performances collaged together, rather than a whole show. Throw in some of those Adler guest appearences as well.

It'd sell gangbusters.

To me, all of the old demos should be saved for 2018 and a 30th Anniversary of GN'R Lies. That would allow them to pad the 8-track EP, and turn it into a 20-track deluxe edition with lost demos from that 1987-88 era, live cuts, studio outtakes, etc.

Then people would buy that gangbusters.

And they'd get our money TWICE. They do the demos n' shit with AFD, and most will go after AFD30.

esoterica
 Rep: 69 

esoterica wrote:

An Appetite 30th would move units, sure, but I don't think old AFD demos are particularly interesting to a larger audience.

I think you're more likely to get old fans with live stuff than those demos. Especially because GN'R was such a great live act back in the day.

Then again Nirvana got a box set then an individual CD the following year. I'm probably wrong.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:

1987 Ritz or 1988 Tokyo Japan may be the 2 best old school shows that were properly recorded that nobody has really enjoyed.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

But then what is the hook for the new tour? Maybe if they change the setlist to the whole of AFD or something? There need to be able to return to the same tour markets with a fresh show/product. I figure a new song does it easily. Plus you could always add in a CD song and package it with AFD to annoy purists.

Board footer