You are not logged in. Please register or login.

tejastech08
 Rep: 194 

Re: Axl Rose with Billy Joel Dodgers Stadium

tejastech08 wrote:

Billy Joel has a lot of great songs. Not surprised Axl is a fan considering Joel came to prominence when all the GN'R guys were teenagers.

Ragnar
 Rep: 8 

Ragnar wrote:

I c

Ragnar
 Rep: 8 

Ragnar wrote:

I can`t speak for others of course but watching Axl belt out covers does n`t excite me, not even one bit.

Dude has a rare gift, he`s one of the most talented individuals in the music business, many would kill to have half of his talent.

Yet, what does he do with it ? he squanders it singing some bullshit "Big Shot". He wastes sweet fucking time, he should be using to make his own music, on guest spots....

tejastech08
 Rep: 194 

tejastech08 wrote:
Ragnar wrote:

I can`t speak for others of course but watching Axl belt out covers does n`t excite me, not even one bit.

Dude has a rare gift, he`s one of the most talented individuals in the music business, many would kill to have half of his talent.

Yet, what does he do with it ? he squanders it singing some bullshit "Big Shot". He wastes sweet fucking time, he should be using to make his own music, on guest spots....

You can look at Axl as one of the biggest wastes of talent in the history of music...or you can look at the other side of it and feel lucky we ever got anything out of the guy. Considering his problems growing up and mental issues, it's sort of a miracle he didn't end up in permanent jail or dead before he ever recorded any song.

Either interpretation is correct. He is a big waste of talent, no doubt. But we're also lucky to have anything featuring his vocal talent. Could have just been a total washout given his personal baggage as a young person.

A Private Eye
 Rep: 77 

Ragnar wrote:

Plenty of artists do a guest spot or collaberate and still manage to make their own music. If Axl wanted to get something out a guest spot with Billy Joel isn't what's stopping him.

For the most part I like to see the guy out there and being well received. He's spent enough of his career being demonised. From a live perspective you can't say he's not making the most of this second wind he's got since the reunion.

My only gripe is why the guy only saves his best voice for AC/DC songs. I don't understand why GNR shows get the cleaned up newer voice meanwhile AC/DC shows get Axl Rose circa 1992? Actually I do understand why but it still bugs me.

dalethirsty
 Rep: 20 

dalethirsty wrote:

the hopeful part of me feels like axl is making a strategic attempt to win himself back over in the public eye.

showing up to concerts on time, taking a stance against public enemy #1 (trump), singing his fuckin' heart out in ac/dc, and now this.

i mean, it is working -- it's crazy how the public image of him has done a complete 180 in just over a year.

why would he be doing this? so when he drops a brand new guns album w/ slash and duff, it will be universally praised and axl will go out the way he deserves. i know he's said he's happy with how cd turned out, but his actions speak much louder than words in that regard. i don't think he's the type of guy to let that be the last time we ever hear him on wax.

esoterica
 Rep: 69 

esoterica wrote:
A Private Eye wrote:

My only gripe is why the guy only saves his best voice for AC/DC songs. I don't understand why GNR shows get the cleaned up newer voice meanwhile AC/DC shows get Axl Rose circa 1992? Actually I do understand why but it still bugs me.

I still don't entirely buy this.

I buy it because he's playing novel songs he hasn't sung 500 times. That said, AC/DC is a lot of short burst higher register stuff. I'm not saying it doesn't have it's moments but it's not UYI or CD level of vocal complexity.

Whatever, who cares. Fuck it. Lighters up.

elevendayempire
 Rep: 96 

A Private Eye wrote:
Ragnar wrote:

Plenty of artists do a guest spot or collaberate and still manage to make their own music. If Axl wanted to get something out a guest spot with Billy Joel isn't what's stopping him.

I've said it before, I'll say it again: now isn't the right time for a new GN'R album.

Albums nowadays function as essentially PR stunts for tours – which is where the real money is. Thing is, GN'R doesn't need PR for the Not in this Lifetime tour, because the mere fact of the reunion is publicity enough. They haven't even toured all the available markets yet – they'll want to milk them dry before they even think about a publicity push. That could mean a second leg in Europe and Asia, which would punt us into next year.

Even then, they don't need to release an album – the mere fact of new material would be enough to grab people's attention. They could stick a new song on a Best Of release (typically released around the holiday season) and it'd generate just as many column inches as a new album (maybe more, there's value in scarcity). Or they could do a soundtrack song for a big movie – typically that'd mean a summer release. Hell, maybe they could even do a James Bond song – there's a new film due out in 2018/19. That keeps GN'R's powder dry for another publicity push around a new album.

Then there's the complicating factor of AC/DC. Angus will want a new album to legitimise the Axl line-up as soon as possible. That album will need to be toured. GN'R won't want to release anything around that, for fear of cannibalising their own promotional push. At some point, they'll also want a break from touring!

IIRC we nearly got the Ashba/Bumblefoot album rush-released ahead of the reunion, because Axl wanted it to stand on its own merits; it was nixed when word of the reunion leaked. That means we're essentially looking at a two-album gap between Chinese Democracy and the next one, in terms of album cycles.

Now, the good news is: when GN'R is eventually ready to release an album, I can't imagine it'll be as drawn-out a process as Chinese Democracy or the never-released follow-up. Where Axl had to contend with record companies reluctant to play ball with a different GN'R line-up, and managers trying to force reunions, and revolving doors of players complicating recording and promotional activity, now it's simple. The record company will leap at the opportunity to release a new GN'R album with Axl, Slash and Duff. There's plenty of material to work with too; Axl's much-vaunted vault, the never-released Velvet Revolver material from the early days (including Izzy tracks), the Corey Taylor VR tracks, whatever they've managed to jam on tour...

A new album is coming, I'm sure of that. It's just that a lot of planets need to align for it to happen.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

Great post and while I agree with most of that.....the process needs to be sped up a bit. Soundgarden were taking their time with their album that was coming this year or next year and now.....

I'm glad that an album wasn't rush released. An album with Ashba and Ron noodlings placed high in the already messy mix would've been subpar at best. Someone can say it would be the same with adding Slash and Duff but IMO a lot more care would be taken in that approach. There's also a hell of a lot more riding on it now.

On topic, what happened here is what was missing from the new GNR years. He should've been doing this type of thing for years. Any ROV members might remember that Billy Joel was high on my list of people who I wanted him to collaborate with and also who I wanted GNR to cover....not Big Shot though.

Either way, its cool to finally see him doing these things. I much prefer it over the silent years.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

I agree, and Soundgarden are the best example. The dicking around cost another album with Cornell, when he was just blowing out material solo. Whether that was his or SG's choice or both, who knows.

Same with Guns. I agree, that right now this band is behaving as if it's 1994-95, like a reboot of the last two decades that they were apart. And that's cool to an extent, but the problem is none of them are 20 years younger. No matter what shape they're in. Good news, unlike other bands, and similar to the attitude of Alice In Chains, Guns seem to be very similar to them. Similar amount of legacy members, all in a good place emotionally, enjoy playing with each other, and looking forward to the future.

That's always a good sign, despite age. But there's only so much time. I remember David Coverdale said something similar about Jon Lord dating back to their early-Whitesnake and Deep Purple days. He loved Jon, but they had some falling out, he wanted to incorporate Jon into Whitesnake again, they talked about doing a project together with Glenn Hughes and Richie Blackmore (call the band Stormbringer or something)...

Everyone always had something else to do... then Jon got cancer and eventually died and that was that. Moment, opportunity... lost. Coverdale spoke with deep regret about not pushing harder for that to happen. True regret.

Same could be said about GN'R dicking around. An Axl/DC album sounds fun, but I could not be less enthused about another Slash solo album. Plus Duff and the rest don't have anything to truly do. Let's be honest. One day Steven is gonna die... then someone else... then another.

I guess if Axl & Slash are alive, it could still work with all replacements, but at least do what The Eagles did. At least kick out one double album for one of the "big 'uns" pass away. I'm sure when The Eagles did "Last Road Out of Eden", they didn't know that Glenn would be dead in a few years.

Board footer