You are not logged in. Please register or login.

James
 Rep: 664 

Re: Chris Cornell dead

James wrote:

Couple pics of last night's show. He does not look well.

18485541_10155198092495600_8832579327087876478_n.jpg?oh=edd2278b591275f18754f656e08207c9&oe=59AFFEF6

18485589_10155198093180600_1833377061203916391_n.jpg?oh=d624584c312e9b7832de063c15dba422&oe=59B9F899

TheSundanceKid
 Rep: 30 

I saw this early in the morning and I was like what the hell? This can't be serious.

I assumed it was like a cocaine or heroin thing.

Real tragic about a suicide and the fact he had been battling depression.

I remember trying to see Audioslave when their "Out of Exile" album came out. My pal and I went downtown Toronto. We were a little late, but the scalpers were still selling their tickets way too high. I never got really into the whole Soundgarden band or grunge outside of Nirvana.

As of late I was really feeling Pearl Jam. Maybe the Letterman love factor is a reason. Or my love of Better Man. Anyhow, I was hoping to get into Soundgarden and to see what the band was all about. I mean I still can, but, never get that live experience.

One thing I admired about Chris Cornell, on top of his talent. Is the fact he is a club I am in. He uses his mother's maiden name. Not too many people would have the balls to do that. But, I mean if your bio dad is a bastard, why not? So I always have name dropped him when it comes to members in that club like Eddie Vedder, Bernard Sumner, Eric Clapton, and I have forgotten a few more who are in it.

Anyhow, sad day.

jimmythegent
 Rep: 30 

jimmythegent wrote:

He'd been clean for many years allegedly - possibility of a relapse?

James

James wrote:

You can bank on it.

Check out the intro to My Wave.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cm97KDb1Y7k

He knows.

I have not watched the whole show yet but apparently he makes comments such as "I feel bad for the people in the next city", "You were here to see it", etc. which shows he already knew he was ending it.

If its mainly due to relapse and not anything terrible currently going on in his life, it makes it even more tragic.

He also kept raving on Detroit and like I said earlier, this city may have had a special meaning to him and this is where he wanted to go out.

His method I find shocking. You'd think a drug user would use drugs as the way out.....or even a gun but he likely didn't have access to guns due to being on tour. Hanging yourself is no guarantee. You can wind up as a vegetable. On the other hand, if you take drugs, you can be saved in the nick of time....which could've happened here as his wife sent someone to check on him.

I'm also wondering if his near constant touring as either solo, SG, or back when he did Audioslave for years on end was his attempt to escape from his own thoughts. When constantly putting on shows, interacting with fans, traveling, etc. could help alleviate your private thoughts.

So does drugs.

Not been mentioned yet as its too soon but I'll say it anyways....

Under no circumstances will I support a SG without Cornell. I don't care if its marketed as a tribute to Cornell tour, fuck em if they go that route. I love all the members of Soundgarden but they better not take it in that direction at any point.

edit: I'll support it if its Axlgarden. 16 Kidding aside, I would LOVE for Axl to cover Soundgarden on the upcoming GNR tour. If anyone could do justice to some of those tracks, Axl can but it would have to be Axl on a night playing his A game. Can you imagine Axl singing something like Jesus Christ Pose, Birth Ritual, Superunknown,etc.? 11 Now that I think about it, Axl isn't the problem. The issue would be could GNR musically handle some of the SG stuff?

That super lame BDS outro does not count.

What I will support are official releases over the coming years from the real lineup and his family releasing solo material.

I wish his fans could unite to push one single song into the number one spot but fan communities do not exist like they used to. It would have to be a social media/hashtag event which I have no interest in being a part of.

Hell, you'd have nerds arguing for years on which song to pick anyways.

There's already some talk from some fans about removing Pretty Noose and LIke Suicide from the catalog. Fuck that shit. Cornell never would've wanted that and besides, half the discography is depressing and could potentially come across as a suicide note in hindsight like Staley's Mad Season lyrics.

Don't remove ANY of his work. His discography is perfect as is. Its untouchable among his peers.....so don't touch it.

Jimmy, now's the time for me to check out that second Cornell solo album I hated(Billie Jean the exception) that you wanted me to give another chance. I'm also gonna listen to that last Audioslave album I thought was mediocre(I already have it. Just don't listen to it). It blew me away when Cornell said it was one of the best things he ever did after its release. I thought it was just bullshit hype to get us to buy it.

tejastech08
 Rep: 194 

tejastech08 wrote:

Shitty news. RIP to one of the greats.

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

PaSnow wrote:

Yeah, that video is uhmmm, ughh. Don't wanna speculate, but it seems apparent.

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

PaSnow wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

I have not watched the whole show yet but apparently he makes comments such as "I feel bad for the people in the next city", "You were here to see it", etc. which shows he already knew he was ending it.

Ughh, what if that was his intention. To have his final concert just go viral full of messages.

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:

Heard the news this morning and had to double and triple check to see if it was true. Completely shocked and saddened that these icons from my youth keep dying at an alarming rate. Such a shame to all those he left behind too. I'm not the biggest fan of his or SG, but appreciate how extremely talented he was. And he seemed like generally a well together, good dude. Obviously had some serious demons though that maybe not many knew about. Too bad, maybe he could've gotten some much needed help along the way.

James

James wrote:

Was listening to King Animal and when I got to Bones of Birds.....jeez. We already knew what the song is about but it now has even deeper meaning.

too weak to survive

I still cant hardly believe this voice has been silenced forever....and by his own hand.  sad

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

Like everyone... i'm just floored. I didn't see/check the news (becoming a habit with all the fake shit out there in the corp media), and I heard nothing late last night. Went to bed, got up today, and immediately had to be somewhere, no TV, just grabbed my phone and hit the road. And I got the radio on, on the local rock station -- nothing -- all of the sudden they run a bumper playing all clips of Cornell talking about Soundgarden and where he wanted the band to be, their legacy, mixed with SG songs n' stuff (plus Seasons), again -- i'm completely oblivious, thinking this is a new segment to pad the break where no ad-time has been purchased...

and then they say "We Remember Chris Cornell"

I went numb. I knew they'd only say that, if... immediately checked his Wikipedia, and it had his death date right there with 'Cause of Death: Suicide".

I went cold. Not only was this huge, but i've been surrounded by alot of death lately. In the last two months, I have never EVER had Owls out at my home, and now? Constantly. Since then, my uncle was suddenly killed in a boating accident along with his lifelong friend, all three of my living grandparents have been close and one is now in her final days (possibly hours, we'll see), my dog of 9 years had heart attack and is now day-to-day, and then this Cornell thing just... fuck man...

And here I was, looking forward to the next SG album. This guy was virtually in my backyard three weeks ago, and I was busy with family affairs, and put off the SG gig, because I didn't want to go to a 'festival' to see them. I wanted to see an SG-exclusive show.

Kinda wishing I would've went now. Sometimes there's not a tomorrow.

Cornell, along with Wood, Cobain & Staley were the voice of a generation. My generation. Vedder, of the "big 'uns" is all that remains, and I guess you could count Cantrell to an extent.

So many people have compared this to Layne's passing, but we all knew Layne was going to go. As far back as 1995-96, people knew. It was a matter of time. People were shocked he lasted to 2002, plus Layne did that RS interview basically flat out said he was dying.

This is much more reminiscent of Kurt, and how sudden that was, except Kurt was at the pinnacle of his stardom, and SG/Cornell's is far behind them. But Chris, like Kurt, was so sudden, so shocking, and just unexpected. Yet, when we look back, the signs were there. I'll never be able to rectify why Chris bailed on his 3 kids, that is inexcusable to me, like Kurt and Francis Bean (if we don't believe in the murder-theory).

But I still have the memory. Even on this board, picking up the reunion album King Animal, and running on Evo to give the review, that excitement "they're back!"... never again. Like with Layne & AIC, regardless of what the future holds, it'll never be the same.

RIP Chris... you left us wanting more.

Board footer