You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Re: The Sopranos

James Lofton wrote:

I'm about to watch the first episode of season two. Scored some more weed, and since I got nothing to do, I think I'll watch quite a bit of this season tonight.

I thought I was the only person who had never watched this series. Didn't think anything I said would be a spoiler to anybody. Russ, you should definitely get the first season.

The series as a whole was great but you'll see as you watch season to season how it becomes less raw and more like dreams states, other interests and psychological stuff thrown in and it took away from that raw in your face Goodfellas feel with a hint of that but all in all a great show indeed.

Sounds like this series fell into the 'X Files trap". Very original and creative, then buys into its own hype and the quality heads down the toilet.

Exactly!!!!  Also they got alot of flack for being too violent and that is also why the tamed down the later seasons alot.  roll

I mean don't get me wrong there are later episodes that I like but it's not like the first few seasons, none of the episodes top those.   Wait till you get to the Russian and the pine barrons  5    Oh and wait until Ralph gets on the scene, oh boy!!!!!!

BrokenGlassNCigs
 Rep: 25 

I guess I'm just such a huge fan, I liked all the episodes. I'll admit some of them left you nowhere and some are just plain filler -- but the show doesn't get worse or weak. Season 5 and Season 6B are two of the best seasons. There's some flawless episodes to be seen there. Season 3 and 4 are very dark and compelling as well, just more about the family aspect, and less about the mob. Which I dig too.

The only real thing I hate about this show is that it ended. Oh well, it had one of the best runs ever. I hope you get to finish the series, James.

Dreamline
 Rep: 64 

Dreamline wrote:
DoubleTalkingJive wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

I'm about to watch the first episode of season two. Scored some more weed, and since I got nothing to do, I think I'll watch quite a bit of this season tonight.

I thought I was the only person who had never watched this series. Didn't think anything I said would be a spoiler to anybody. Russ, you should definitely get the first season.

The series as a whole was great but you'll see as you watch season to season how it becomes less raw and more like dreams states, other interests and psychological stuff thrown in and it took away from that raw in your face Goodfellas feel with a hint of that but all in all a great show indeed.

Sounds like this series fell into the 'X Files trap". Very original and creative, then buys into its own hype and the quality heads down the toilet.

Exactly!!!!  Also they got alot of flack for being too violent and that is also why the tamed down the later seasons alot.  roll

I mean don't get me wrong there are later episodes that I like but it's not like the first few seasons, none of the episodes top those.   Wait till you get to the Russian and the pine barrons  5    Oh and wait until Ralph gets on the scene, oh boy!!!!!!

Pine Barrens was the episode I was thinking of in particular when I said I really liked some of the later episodes.  That episode was classic!

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

I'm gonna watch a few more episodes of this tonight.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

Finally got around to watching this again. Picked up where I had left off. Had completely forgot what a douche bag Richie is. The attempted hit on Christopher was a bit of surprise, but it was obvious those two dipshits were gonna do something stupid at some point. Total wannabe gangsters.

Still have the same complaint I had earlier in this thread. It strayed from the roots that made it stand out among all the other mob shows. Its a great series no doubts there, but wish it had continued down the same path as the first season. I have a couple more episodes to watch until season 3 starts.

Randall Flagg
 Rep: 139 

I bought the entitre series from a Haji shop 2 weeks ago and watch an episode or 2 everynight before I goto bed.  I've started season 3 and am very impressed.

Tommie
 Rep: 67 

Tommie wrote:
Randall Flagg wrote:

I bought the entitre series from a Haji shop 2 weeks ago and watch an episode or 2 everynight before I goto bed.  I've started season 3 and am very impressed.

Best episode of season 3 is Pine Barrens, very funny ep.

jimmythegent
 Rep: 30 

jimmythegent wrote:

Hands down the best TV show ever made

I own every episode and I disagree that the quality diminished over time. Series 3, 5 and the last half of the 6 are brilliant IMO.

Reading this thread has got me thinking I may have to start from the beginning again

Locomotive98
 Rep: 17 

Locomotive98 wrote:
jimmythegent wrote:

Hands down the best TV show ever made

I own every episode and I disagree that the quality diminished over time. Series 3, 5 and the last half of the 6 are brilliant IMO.

Reading this thread has got me thinking I may have to start from the beginning again

Agreed fully - nothing beats the Sopranos. Each series is awesome in its own way.

Have just watched the whole run again - well I'm half way through the 6th season which is just amazing. Having them all on dvd means its not the last time I'll be watching them either.

James, I'm so envious that your watching this for the first time.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

The Sopranos is majorly overrated. It's a very good series, don't get me wrong, but I would take a show like The Shield, any day of the week over it.

Season 1: finding their feet, a little unbalanced, but gets strong towards the end
Season 2: continues great improvement, very very good. Alot of classic episodes here
Season 3: stellar from start to finish. Their best season imo
Season 4: Another stellar season. Not as good as S3, but still - excellent
Season 5: Start to hit the backside. Still a very good season, probably on-par with S2
Season 6: Weak, their least season. Some episodes were a challenge to even watch. The first batch of S6 were 'okay', then the 'final episodes' rolled out the following year, and it was a snore fest. Only significant points in the very final episodes were the last two.

Board footer