You are not logged in. Please register or login.

James
 Rep: 664 

Re: Most Recent Movie You've Seen

James wrote:
misterID wrote:

Was The Babadook real, though? I still have my suspicions....

How could it be a delusion? They both saw it....and of course that ending where she feeds it.

It's a really odd film. I need to watch it again.

Pasnow...those Ernest films were god awful. He needed better writers. His first couple are gems but then went off the rails on a crazy train.

Randall Flagg
 Rep: 139 

misterID wrote:

Was The Babadook real, though? I still have my suspicions....

Get Out. The most overrated film ever. They're calling racism because it's been submitted as a comedy for an award. You write a character like the TSA agent don't bitch about people thinking it was a comedy.

What else would it be categorized as?  I agree it didn’t meet the hype, but I only enjoyed some of it because I thought it was supposed to have an absurd/comedic element. Are we supposed to think a community of white folks who kidnap black folks and implant their minds into them for immortality has any sense of realism?  Is there even a horror category for the golden globes, as that’s the only other category I could see it in. Jordan Peele is a comedian, why wouldn’t his film be seen as comedic?

If the goal is to try to be artsy and serve as a commentary on how white American society has robbed the black man of his sense of self, it failed miserably and was poorly written and cliche. If the colors of the actors was reversed, the film would be condemned as racist filth.

People can bury their heads in the sand, but this ultra liberal PC bullshit is what put Trump in office. When you spout this bullshit, people begin to question everything you say. Do you find it just a coincidence that the people most adamant and vocal about climate change also spew the identity politics nonsense?  And that the people who deny any notion of Climate Change also happen to resent the extreme left the most?

It’s a feedback loop, and people are getting sick of the PC bullshit. Bringing Lena Dunham out as a representative for an idea does much more harm than good. The idea gets warped, twisted and distorted into a halftruth at best, and an objective lie at its worse.

I know I kind of went into the political thread with that, but I find this stuff is infecting every aspect of our lives and that’s going to embolden more of the mindset that put Trump in power to the detriment of our country. You watch movies, football and TV to escape reality. And one vocal group is pushing to have their agenda permeate every aspect of our lives. That’s pissing people off and we need to decide if that’s acceptable.

Every movie doesn’t need to be bowling for Columbine.

James

James wrote:

I know I kind of went into the political thread with that, but I find this stuff is infecting every aspect of our lives

This is my main problem with it. You literally cannot escape it.  They're not even happy with this. They want more of it shoved down your throat. The lunatic fringe has been given a very loud voice and there's going to be resistance to it. Eventually something is going to happen that will cause people to demand a complete stop to it.

A few weeks ago I saw an old woman at a gas station who didn't know which bathroom to use. That's unacceptable. Live a normal life for decades but now she needs an ultra liberal to tell her which door she can walk through to take a shit. All because there's one tranny within a 500 mile radius.

It has to stop.

Rex
 Rep: 50 

Rex wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

I know I kind of went into the political thread with that, but I find this stuff is infecting every aspect of our lives

This is my main problem with it. You literally cannot escape it.  They're not even happy with this. They want more of it shoved down your throat. The lunatic fringe has been given a very loud voice and there's going to be resistance to it. Eventually something is going to happen that will cause people to demand a complete stop to it.

A few weeks ago I saw an old woman at a gas station who didn't know which bathroom to use. That's unacceptable. Live a normal life for decades but now she needs an ultra liberal to tell her which door she can walk through to take a shit. All because there's one tranny within a 500 mile radius.

It has to stop.

Did she forget what she has between her legs? 16

James

James wrote:

Both bathrooms were the same. It wasn't men or women.

FlashFlood
 Rep: 55 

FlashFlood wrote:

Wow oh my god the horror. Unisex bathrooms like every single household in America?

James

James wrote:

I got the Rocky collection that has the first four films. Funny how they want you to think Rocky V never existed.

I marathoned it.

Rocky- I still believe this is one of the greatest films ever made. A perfect story. In a perfect world, it never has sequels.

Rocky II- Obviously everyone wanted him to win the title...so here comes the sequel.  It does its job but cracks are starting to show.

Rocky III- Pure popcorn fluff. Wasn't necessary. This feels as if its setting up a new Rocky franchise with this formula. It needs something to motivate Rocky and since a title cant do it, death has to do it....so Mickey exits stage left.

Rocky IV- This is worse now than I remembered it. The patriotism is too cheesy. It also needs a death and the only one that can pull that off is Creed....so Creed...exit stage left.

The last two sequels are Rocky in name only. None of what made the first film spectacular is in the story anymore.

I need to watch Rocky V just to see what a clusterfuck it is. I haven't watched it in about 25 years.

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

PaSnow wrote:

lol. My view on Rokys are best to worst I, II, Creed, VI, III, IV, V

I may be mixing up 4 & 5, haven't seen 5 since around it came out. I recall it being terrible. 6 was actually pretty good, same with Creed. Funny, there's a red headed female reporter in III I think who interviews Mr T on the Art Museum steps. She was a substitute teacher of mine & had a daughter a year younger than me. II is a pretty good sequel though, up there with the better ones imho (Empire, Godfather)

Saw 2 recent shows lately, Let It Fall 82-92. Pretty good look into LA during the 80s, a little about the crack epidemic and moreso about policing in the city (they used to do chokeholds until someone was killed). How it began brewing a police brutality pattern that rappers like NWA sorta exposed to the national limelight. Interesting, it's not uber liberal but there's 2 sides to each story. It culminates into the Rodney King beating & trial, then riots. Some pretty in depth footage & narration of the riots which I've sorta been nostalgic of, (it's long, a solid 2 1/2 hours). I do recall it being real bad, hard to explain to younger people about it, it just was not good in any way. The police chief was a dope however one or two higher officers seems to do a bit of revisionist history themselves, claiming they were against nearly every move he made whereas imho they were just doing the same thing as him. A few officers interviewed definitely stepped up & risked their lifes.

Something I forgot about was there was a case about a year prior where a Korean store owner shot a teen for something fairly minor like shoplifting, then got off. The teen was obviously no angel but I do recall that being a minor subplot to the narrative back then, I'd forgotten about it.

Also watched a Frontline episode 'Poor Kids'. Really good, not very political and touches upon rural & city youth, just how poor they are and looking for a way out when they get older. Kinda reminded me of some of the posters here who've made recent mentions of it. Most about about Jr High grade (10-12) then it follows up with them a few years later when they're in their latter teens. Pretty well done & non-partisan for the most part.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

Saw dunkirk last week...i thought it was pretty amazing

Saw the gunslinger yesterday...was ok i suppose

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

PaSnow wrote:

Let It Fall - LA & Compton areas from 82-92. Really good explaination culminating into the 92 riots, with alot of news footage & detail. Some things I'd forgotten, just small details like a shooting at a Korean store a few months earlier where the storekeeper got off. Then getting into Rodney King, man that whole incident is hard to believe, and definitely a change in era thing as the guy who recorded it said he had just gotten that camcorder. They also have alot of homemade camcorder footage of the riots, and whats cool is they reconnect with some of the people who are seen in the footage. There's a bit of revisionist history though from some police higher ups. Essentially if you remember, the LAPD pulled out. While I can't blame them entirely, it seems they did so too soon, before it became pure chaos, and just said 'F it'. Interesting note, early on a cops vehicle had rocks thrown at it or something, and the officers got out & chased the people, which the Lt said that was the last thing he wanted them to do. About 100 people met them in protest demainding they not arrest the guys saying it wasn't them, so the police had to call for backup. Well what it became was a hornets nest of about 100 ppl vs 20-30 officers, and thats essentially when the officers retreated. Just seemed like a staring at an elephant too closely, worried about petty vandalism while the entirely city is about to erupt. While at a makeshift police HQ (A bus depot or something) they saw on TV I think Reginald Denny, the truck driver. A few rogue police officers went on their own will to rescue him, and a stranger nearby assisted in driving his truck away.  Anyway it's 2 1/2 hours & loaded, a great watch.

Dave Chappelle's newest standup. It's great. Old school Dave at his best. *Gets a bit political towards the end, maybe the last 10-15 minutes, but nothing you wouldn't expect him to say, he's somewhat plain spoken about it.

Board footer