You are not logged in. Please register or login.

esoterica
 Rep: 69 

Re: Your favorite GN'R side-project?

esoterica wrote:

I checked out "Believe In Me".

I like Tommy's solo stuff more than Duff's but both of their vocals can be grating and never get out of middle gear.

"Fucked Up Beyond Belief" was awesome. Jeff Beck and Duff's Prince influences shining through? Fuck yeah.

Ragnar
 Rep: 8 

Ragnar wrote:

Tommy > > > Duff.

johndivney wrote:

Tommy shoulda done Light of Day in his solo spot when he used to be in GnR. It was his hit after all.

http://youtu.be/FWOT02wxSQc

Credit to Tommy, his two solo records are really great stuff & are ageing well. He made something positive out of his time in GnR in spite of all the bum notes. & canoli's obviously.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

I will agree that Tommy's solo is FAR FAR FAR more consistent than Duff.

I personally feel that Duff's best solo work, and only good solo work, was his 1993 GN'R-era release "Believe In Me". Love that album. Still love the album, and would take it over anything Tommy has ever done.

But beyond that, Tommy by a mile. I just can't get into Loaded, and never have. It's just all over the place, and it's all Duff, and most of the songs are obvious half-baked ideas with basic lyrics, just to make a song, and thus the reason the group never got off the ground. The songs just aren't that good.

The entire band of GN'R as a whole, including Axl, Slash, Izzy, Duff & Steven will always been the sum of their parts. Even Dizzy has some neat ideas for keys, but they have to be fleshed out by others. Axl needs talented people around him to bring those good parts to being great. Slash slummed for years until found Myles & The Conspirators. I know of numerous people, including myself, who never really thought Scott Weiland was a good pairing for Slash, Duff & Matt. They had one good album, Contraband, and that was that. Libertad is a fucking drink coaster. It is what it is.

But when Slash found Myles & The Conspirators... he was reborn. And that supercharging of Slash, is what has made him so good in GN'R 2016 imo. Myles challenges him in similar ways to Axl challenging him, although even Myles would tell you -- he's not W. Axl Rose. Not many are. But at the same time -- Robin Finck was not Slash. Or Randy Rhodes. Possibly John 5 maybe. But if Axl wanted Robin to be his Randy, Axl should've either A) started a solo band, or B) went balls deep on the industrial, Rob Zombie/NIN-reboot of GN'R, and like Taime Downe of Faster Pussycat, done it, and told the world to fuck off. He was gonna make his music HIS way, and songs like "Oh My God" and "Silkworms" would've been the first singles off of Chinese, and he would've just keep rolling. Turning "Prostitute" into his version of "The Day The World Went Away" by NIN.

Even Izzy's solo stuff is just a bunch of rambling riffs of neat little Western-themed rock stuff. It's good. But nobody is gonna remember the deep cuts, and most of the songs of his I remember are either Ju Ju Hounds stuff, or off of 117 Degrees. That's it.

Adler to me is the one the had the biggest impact. He really didn't do ANYTHING since 1990. All of the sudden he teams up with that Jacob kid from Back From The Dead, and hammers out arguably one of the best albums of any of them. I expected absolutely NOTHING from Adler, and that album delivered.

Favorite side project: anything Bucket-related

Favorite non-Bucket project: Ju Ju Hounds

Favorite side project solo album: ADLER--Back From The Dead

Ragnar
 Rep: 8 

Ragnar wrote:

i don`t know man, i tried to listen to Steven`s band`s single but it was so bad I could n`t finish it. it`s so fucking 80s and cliche, vocalist`s voice irritates me to no end.

As for Izzy, he has good ideas, he can lay a foundation but he needs Axl to take his ideas and turn them into good songs. Left to his devices, he`s disappointing.

ClaudeF
 Rep: 16 

ClaudeF wrote:

The Neurotic Outsiders album is great fun from start to finish. The timing was bad: Steve went back to the Sex Pistols and that was the end of the project, but the CD captures the fun of their live shows, and is really inexpensive to buy.

FlashFlood
 Rep: 55 

FlashFlood wrote:

The Adler record is fun, if a little cheesy.

metallex78
 Rep: 194 

metallex78 wrote:
ClaudeF wrote:

The Neurotic Outsiders album is great fun from start to finish. The timing was bad: Steve went back to the Sex Pistols and that was the end of the project, but the CD captures the fun of their live shows, and is really inexpensive to buy.

Yeah, I love this album. It has the some fat rock sound that TSI has, and some great drumming from Matt on there too

ClaudeF
 Rep: 16 

ClaudeF wrote:
metallex78 wrote:
ClaudeF wrote:

Yeah, I love this album. It has the some fat rock sound that TSI has, and some great drumming from Matt on there too

Agreed. I got the sense Matt really felt like he could cut loose. Plus, the chemistry between the four of them was palpable. They really liked each other a ton.

I've seen Duff with 10 Minute Warning, Presidents of the United States of America, and Loaded. Every single time he's been terrific, but I've never gotten the same impression of him feeling as happy to be on stage with a bunch of people.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

I haven't heard this album in a long time. I should give it a spin. Good point on the timing.

Board footer