You are not logged in. Please register or login.

James
 Rep: 664 

Re: Current Events Thread

James wrote:

Interesting that the media isn't making a big deal out of the looting and rioting going on in Philly the past couple days.

How dare the cops kill a criminal charging at them with a knife! That certainly warrants destruction.

When they thought it was helping them politically, we saw non-stop coverage. Now that they know the average person is sick of this shit, we're not getting non-stop coverage of the peaceful riots.

I guarantee this impacts voting in PA.

Randall Flagg
 Rep: 139 

Axl S wrote:

On the chat about tech and data, here's a take from a guy in tech (me):

Don't trust Chinese products. That means avoid Huawei/Xiaomi phones, don't use TikTok etc. Also don't use that FaceApp thing - run by a Russian company.

Do sites and apps from Western companies do a lot of shit with your data that you probably wouldn't like if you looked into it? - Yes. But, the regulations on what can be done with your data in the US and especially in the EU are way tougher than elsewhere in the world. They don't go far enough though. You're still being harvested and that data is being used to sell access to your eyes and mind to advertisers, academic researchers and even governments from all over the world.

If you want to get a sense of what Facebook do with your data read Mindfuck by Christopher Wylie. Great book, fascinating on the data science front which is covered in a really accessible manner and on the electioneering front. (tidbit: he was part of a company that was testing the phrases "Drain the swamp" and "Build the wall" in 2014. Their official client was the Cruz campaign, but Donald was an off the book private client). You folk who are totally skeptical on any Trump campaign shenanigans in 2016 involving dark money or Russians - you probably won't like parts of it but it's a firsthand account from someone who actually saw this stuff. Even if you read those parts and think it's all horseshit the rest is still interesting.

We all say advertising doesn't work on us - but if ads didn't demonstrably work companies wouldn't keep paying for them. Fact is they do, and when it goes beyond ads and becomes paid for awareness/disinformation campaigns that don't even run as ads but are run from posting manually in Facebook Groups, WhatsApp group chats, message boards etc. it becomes a lot harder to realise when you are being worked.

All good stuff and true. I have my CISSP as well. But this information is going to go over most peoples heads. They just don’t care or have the basic technical background to understand any of it.

mitchejw
 Rep: 130 

mitchejw wrote:
Randall Flagg wrote:
James wrote:

I saw this on Reddit.

I laughed...

https://i.redd.it/hzq0h2tn7sv51.jpg

Almost perfect. Just needs an antifa bitch labeled as the same as my grandfather at Normandy.

A bitch labeled as your grandfather?

Randall Flagg
 Rep: 139 

James wrote:

Interesting that the media isn't making a big deal out of the looting and rioting going on in Philly the past couple days.

How dare the cops kill a criminal charging at them with a knife! That certainly warrants destruction.

When they thought it was helping them politically, we saw non-stop coverage. Now that they know the average person is sick of this shit, we're not getting non-stop coverage of the peaceful riots.

I just don’t understand why a 90 pound female social worker couldn’t be called in to talk him down. Police should be required to have a MA in Psychology and only be issued rubber bullets. They should bring in navy seal snipers to teach police to shoot from the hip and knock weapons out of their hands. I do it on Call of Duty all the time. It’s super easy.

mitchejw

mitchejw wrote:
Randall Flagg wrote:
James wrote:

I just don’t understand why a 90 pound female social worker couldn’t be called in to talk him down. Police should be required to have a MA in Psychology and only be issued rubber bullets. They should bring in navy seal snipers to teach police to shoot from the hip and knock weapons out of their hands. I do it on Call of Duty all the time. It’s super easy.

Listen......shoot to kill...ask questions later....

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
Axl S wrote:

Also on all that Hunter Biden stuff. I haven't seen any of those pictures and videos yet and based on what may be in them I really don't know what's in them. I also haven't seen any reputable reporting on them yet. So, not saying they're fake but also staying very skeptical.

Especially with how good deepfakes and AI generated photos have gotten.

Checkout the new web show from the South Park guys, they use standard open source deep fake tech that people can run at home on their gaming PCs that cost $1000. The results whilst not perfect are impressive.

Then you have the way more impressive ability to fake faces in still photographs

Have a go on guessing which faces are real on the link in that tweet. I keep getting it wrong all the time.

I am not saying that Hunter Biden stuff is fake - because frankly I don't know. I'm just keeping an open mind because it easily could be. And the text message screenshots... anyone can fake those, that's hardly proof. Until somewhere reputable verifies this story I'll be skeptical.

Irregardless of all that, with the advances in technology and AI generated imagery, I worry about what things will be like in regards to politics in 10 years time.

On the subject of Hunter Biden....

Today pictures of him standing nude in front of a mirror with Nattie(his niece, Joe's granddaughter) sitting on the bed in the background have leaked.

Of course you're not going to hear about this in the mainstream. They started censoring it within minutes of it leaking.

If it were broadcast on every major media outlet, it would cause a massive shit storm.

On AI imagery....

Yeah it's scary shit. I remember years ago that company showing a bunch of pictures of people who didn't even exist. Imagine where the tech is now.

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

PaSnow wrote:
James wrote:

I agree I'm a bit surprised it is being downplayed a bit, but I think the National news tends to gauge what cases are worth pushing or not. I don't recall the details, but I think there was one in Atlanta a few weeks ago, which filtered out pretty quickly. And Lancaster, PA had a shooting similar where a guy ran out of the house with a knife, there were some protests, but again a few days later it filtered out.

Some local newscasters have been pounding the drum for it on Twitter, but I don't think the support overall is going to be there. Again, the guy came at them with a knife, and I heard the cops were called 3 times before they arrived, so it was a pretty urgent plea for them.  Fortunately the family is asking the looting & rioting stop, hopefully it does. It's just theft anymore.

mitchejw

mitchejw wrote:

What an idiot...names no one...slurs his words like he's drunk or just had a stroke...bullshitting his way through everything....no substance...not a single complete sentence....profesional retard

bigbri
 Rep: 341 

bigbri wrote:

Another bombshell turns into a dud.

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

PaSnow wrote:
bigbri wrote:

Another bombshell turns into a dud.

[/embed]
Bwahahahaa, what a loser!  Yeah, blame UPS because you fell for some dumb shit.  Your 'producer' is NY was just some rando dude claiming to have a wealth of info, yet the idiot didn't bother to keep photocopies of such sensitive materials prior to shipping.

Fucking moron.  And yeah, when you call 1-800-Ship-UPS they don't really send people on to 'inspect the plane' and 'interview everyone who handled it', the cutomer service agents just lie to your because you're stupid. The phoney purposely shipped an open envelope, duhhhh!

Board footer