You are not logged in. Please register or login.

slashsfro
 Rep: 53 

Re: Current Events Thread

slashsfro wrote:
Randall Flagg wrote:

They need a couple days to make their argument before holding a formal vote, so today should be about setting up the impeachment proceedings. Though nothing is stopping Pelosi from holding an impeachment vote without a "trial".

You'll need 17 Republicans to join in the Senate to make it official.  I guess we'll see if that happens in the next 7 days.

I'm skeptical they get 17 BUT the stuff McConnell leaked yesterday doesn't come out if he doesn't have the votes.  And a big reason that they're cutting Trump loose this time is because the donations from big corporations to Republicans have basically stopped.

mitchejw
 Rep: 130 

mitchejw wrote:

It doesn't look like the Senate is in any hurry to do this anyway.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
IRISH OS1R1S wrote:

Look if he can behave and not talk down to people and put words in their mouth I have no issue with him or anyone. If someone does I'm  gonna give it right back. I/we have put up with this for far too long.

Show even a glimmer of respect and I'll return it. There was a good civil chat going on here. I hope we can return to it.

Buzz is a unique exception to the rule. He spent months literally begging me to ban him. He would even report posts with a message to ban him.

He says he was banned because he owned Mitch or whatever.

Wrong.

He was banned for two reasons....

Spent months begging to be banned.

Trolling.

I know he has a fan club here. Hell...I liked him too. Don't feel bad about his banning because buzz was the biggest advocate for his banning.

I believe in 2nd...3rd...and 4th chances. Even when I do ban, it's usually temporary. We've all known each other forever. I'm 45....I've known SG, ID, Flagg, SLC, etc since my twenties....and others almost as long. The thought of banning one or several people here sounds ridiculous to me.

The personal attacks have to go. It's one thing to get into a heated debate like ID and I couple days ago....it's another to start attacking one another and making it personal. Then a feud is created and it drags out for years.

It's completely unnecessary.

There's no reason on earth why buzz couldn't have just dove back in like nothing happened and discussed this stuff.  Instead he comes back with a pathetic excuse why he's back and starts attacking...causing a dumpster fire in the process.

Like I said.... totally unnecessary.

James

James wrote:

The Joint Chiefs issued a statement yesterday.

The American people have trusted the Armed Forces of the United States to protect them and our Constitution for almost 250 years. As we have done throughout our history, the U.S. military will obey lawful orders from civilian leadership, support civil authorities to protect lives and property, ensure public safety in accordance with the law, and remain fully committed to protecting and defending the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic.

The violent riot in Washington, D.C. on January 6, 2021 was a direct assault on the U.S. Congress, the Capitol building, and our Constitutional process. We mourn the deaths of the two Capitol policemen and others connected to these unprecedented events.

We witnessed actions inside the Capitol building that were inconsistent with the rule of law. The rights of freedom of speech and assembly do not give anyone the right to resort to violence, sedition and insurrection.

As Service Members, we must embody the values and ideals of the Nation. We support and defend the Constitution. Any act to disrupt the Constitutional process is not only against our traditions, values, and oath; it is against the law.

On January 20, 2021, in accordance with the Constitution, confirmed by the states and the courts, and certified by Congress, President-elect Biden will be inaugurated and will become our 46th Commander in Chief.

To our men and women deployed and at home, safeguarding our country-stay ready, keep your eyes on the horizon, and remain focused on the mission. We honor your continued service in defense of every American.

[signed]

Mark A. Milley
General, U.S. Army
Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff

John E. Hyten
General, U.S. Air Force
Vice Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff

James C. McConville
General, U.S. Army
Chief of Staff of the Army

David H. Berger
General, U.S. Marine Corps
Commandant of the Marine Corps

Michael M. Gilday
Admiral, U.S. Navy
Chief of Naval Operations

Charles Q. Brown, Jr.
General, U.S. Air Force
Chief of Staff of the Air Force

John W. Raymond
General, U.S. Space Force
Chief of Space Operations

Daniel R. Hokanson
General, U.S. Army
Chief of the National Guard Bureau

mitchejw
 Rep: 130 

mitchejw wrote:
James wrote:

The American people have trusted the Armed Forces of the United States to protect them and our Constitution for almost 250 years. As we have done throughout our history, the U.S. military will obey lawful orders from civilian leadership, support civil authorities to protect lives and property, ensure public safety in accordance with the law, and remain fully committed to protecting and defending the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic.

The violent riot in Washington, D.C. on January 6, 2021 was a direct assault on the U.S. Congress, the Capitol building, and our Constitutional process. We mourn the deaths of the two Capitol policemen and others connected to these unprecedented events.

We witnessed actions inside the Capitol building that were inconsistent with the rule of law. The rights of freedom of speech and assembly do not give anyone the right to resort to violence, sedition and insurrection.

As Service Members, we must embody the values and ideals of the Nation. We support and defend the Constitution. Any act to disrupt the Constitutional process is not only against our traditions, values, and oath; it is against the law.

On January 20, 2021, in accordance with the Constitution, confirmed by the states and the courts, and certified by Congress, President-elect Biden will be inaugurated and will become our 46th Commander in Chief.

To our men and women deployed and at home, safeguarding our country-stay ready, keep your eyes on the horizon, and remain focused on the mission. We honor your continued service in defense of every American.

[signed]

Mark A. Milley
General, U.S. Army

John E. Hyten
General, U.S. Air Force

James C. McConville
General, U.S. Army

David H. Berger

Michael M. Gilday
Admiral, U.S. Navy

Charles Q. Brown, Jr.
General, U.S. Air Force

John W. Raymond

Daniel R. Hokanson
General, U.S. Army

How do we interpret this? The joint chiefs are acknowledging Biden's victory publically?

Randall Flagg
 Rep: 139 

I saw that.  But from my pov, that just solidifies what I've been saying for a year that all the rhetoric about Trump staying in office after his term was bonkers.  Every American Military Officer swears an oath to the constitution, not the President.  Only enlisted folks swear loyalty to the commander in chief.  We haven't had a bonafide military leader since Bush I, so I don't think the military will be defecting to whatever ever civilian playing Soldier sits in the oval office in violation of their oaths.

Randall Flagg
 Rep: 139 

mitchejw wrote:
James wrote:

[signed]

Mark A. Milley
General, U.S. Army

John E. Hyten
General, U.S. Air Force

James C. McConville
General, U.S. Army

David H. Berger

Michael M. Gilday
Admiral, U.S. Navy

Charles Q. Brown, Jr.
General, U.S. Air Force

John W. Raymond

Daniel R. Hokanson
General, U.S. Army

How do we interpret this? The joint chiefs are acknowledging Biden's victory publically?

That they're doing their jobs and the hysteria about a coup is just that.  Unarmed dipshits wearing a Q t-shirt aren't going to be taking control.

James

James wrote:
Randall Flagg wrote:

I saw that.  But from my pov, that just solidifies what I've been saying for a year that all the rhetoric about Trump staying in office after his term was bonkers.  Every American Military Officer swears an oath to the constitution, not the President.  Only enlisted folks swear loyalty to the commander in chief.  We haven't had a bonafide military leader since Bush I, so I don't think the military will be defecting to whatever ever civilian playing Soldier sits in the oval office in violation of their oaths.

The statement should be getting lots of coverage on both sides until the 20th.

The moment I saw it I knew there was zero chance of any of these worst case scenarios happening.

They're not going to put up with any funny business. We knew they probably wouldn't anyways but it's good to see confirmation.

James

James wrote:

Lin Wood is in a pickle.....

A Delaware Superior Court judge slammed pro-Trump attorney Lin Wood in a Monday decision, revoking Wood's right to represent ex-Trump aide Carter Page in a defamation suit stemming from the Mueller investigation.

"The conduct of Mr. Wood, albeit not in my jurisdiction, exhibited a toxic stew of mendacity, prevarication and surprising incompetence," Judge Craig Karsnitz wrote.

Karsnitz said that he is required to "ensure that those practicing before me are of sufficient character, and conduct themselves with sufficient civility and truthfulness," particularly when out-of-state counsel is selected. Wood is based in Georgia.

He noted that the case in Georgia was "textbook frivolous litigation," which included "an error-ridden affidavit," and that the complaint Wood filed in Wisconsin "would not survive a law school civil procedure class."

"What has been shown in Court decisions of our sister States satisfies me that it would be inappropriate and inadvisable to continue Mr. Wood's permission to practice before this court," Karsnitz said. "I acknowledge that I preside over a small part of the legal world in a small state. However, we take pride in our bar."

James

James wrote:

An investigation top to bottom is needed right now. I wish they'd focus more on this than impeachment hearings.

Panic buttons had been ripped out of offices before they stormed the Capitol. Combine that with some of these people getting a tour of the Capitol beforehand, it's starting to look like a plan was in place. It just got fucked up.

Board footer