You are not logged in. Please register or login.

IRISH OS1R1S
 Rep: 59 

Re: Current Events Thread

IRISH OS1R1S wrote:

Nothing to see here...

Randall Flagg
 Rep: 139 

misterID wrote:
FlashFlood wrote:

If you don’t think there is a system of oppression in the USA that keeps black people in a pervasive, disadvantaged state, I don’t know what to tell you. Black Lives Matter isn’t about Marxists, it’s about fundamentally changing the aforementioned point through unity. That means it’s not just black people saying BLM it means white Americans have to share responsibility for where we are, acknowledge our inherent privilege in this country, and advocate for change.

Isn't Marxism a part of their official platform even mentioned on their website?

You should make this argument to the white folks in the Appalachia about their "inherent privilege." They definitely need to be taken down a notch or two.

Hog wash.  All my friends and family who were steel workers and coal miners and watched their jobs vanish as EPA regulations and Chinese steel saturated the market are doing just great!  Sure, Appalachia has the highest opioid abuse per capita in the nation, and the schools are underfunded and a century old.  But they're white, so they have enormous privilege.  Not like say Corey Booker whose parents were both IBM executives, that young men had to overcome 5x as much as the poor kid in Wheeling, WV whose dad was laid off by the coal mine 5 years before turning to a bottle and mom climbed up inside an oxy bottle.  If you don't understand that inherent privilege, I'm not required to enact the labor to explain why it's there. Honestly I've never been forced to, and get pats on the back parroting the talking points of people society has told me I should emulate.  Now excuse me while I go break into a state house and set fire to some police station and federal courthouses while posting online how outraged and confused the people I've harassed at every turn reciprocate my violence.

Sky Dog wrote:

I think ID was being sarcastic. hmm

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:
Sky Dog wrote:

Yep

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:
FlashFlood wrote:

If you don’t think there is a system of oppression in the USA that keeps black people in a pervasive, disadvantaged state, I don’t know what to tell you. Black Lives Matter isn’t about Marxists,

My issue is even if one does agree that black people are also systematically oppressed, there's no way to support them now without ALSO supporting BLM's agenda on marxism, gender/sex relations,  and the politics around changing the reliance on the nuclear-family.

Although I notice they have toned down those sections of their website now in recent months, so perhaps they realised a lot of their base doesn't want to get into that other stuff.

But that's my problem with it - the piggy backing of issues together, particularly when some of them are relatively extreme beliefs (eg ending the nuclear family's dominance)

It's reasonably in the centre of politics to think that somewhere in the system we need to make some changes to kinda end the cycle of disadvantage that's messing up black people's lives. But the marxism and other stuff is hardline extremist left wing ideas.

Why can I not have one without the other? I want to live some place where the cops are trained not to suffocate a guy to death while he pleads for his dead mom but that doesn't mean I want to go live back in stalinist russia or something either.

mitchejw
 Rep: 130 

mitchejw wrote:
misterID wrote:
Sky Dog wrote:

Yep

about what? I don't get it.

misterID

misterID wrote:

I don't know how to explain it other than I was being sarcastic and Randall took me serious.

monkeychow wrote:
FlashFlood wrote:

If you don’t think there is a system of oppression in the USA that keeps black people in a pervasive, disadvantaged state, I don’t know what to tell you. Black Lives Matter isn’t about Marxists,

My issue is even if one does agree that black people are also systematically oppressed, there's no way to support them now without ALSO supporting BLM's agenda on marxism, gender/sex relations,  and the politics around changing the reliance on the nuclear-family.

Although I notice they have toned down those sections of their website now in recent months, so perhaps they realised a lot of their base doesn't want to get into that other stuff.

But that's my problem with it - the piggy backing of issues together, particularly when some of them are relatively extreme beliefs (eg ending the nuclear family's dominance)

It's reasonably in the centre of politics to think that somewhere in the system we need to make some changes to kinda end the cycle of disadvantage that's messing up black people's lives. But the marxism and other stuff is hardline extremist left wing ideas.

Why can I not have one without the other? I want to live some place where the cops are trained not to suffocate a guy to death while he pleads for his dead mom but that doesn't mean I want to go live back in stalinist russia or something either.

All of this.

Randall Flagg
 Rep: 139 

misterID wrote:

I don't know how to explain it other than I was being sarcastic and Randall took me serious.

Nah, I knew you were sarcastic. I guess my sarcasm went over everyone’s head. This isn’t the first time you’ve made the argument poor whites aren’t inherently better off than poor blacks. But they won’t touch that with a ten foot pole. Hence my sarcasm of “enacting the labor”.

FlashFlood
 Rep: 55 

FlashFlood wrote:
Randall Flagg wrote:
misterID wrote:

Nah, I knew you were sarcastic. I guess my sarcasm went over everyone’s head. This isn’t the first time you’ve made the argument poor whites aren’t inherently better off than poor blacks. But they won’t touch that with a ten foot pole. Hence my sarcasm of “enacting the labor”.

Sure, I’ll touch it. Poor white people are inherently better off than poor black people. Poor white people are afforded far more opportunity than poor black people. While both are most likely to remain poor, the fact is, white people in power are more likely to hire white people, and there are very few black people in power. It’s not apples to apples. It’s immensely different.

misterID

misterID wrote:
FlashFlood wrote:
Randall Flagg wrote:
misterID wrote:

Sure, I’ll touch it. Poor white people are inherently better off than poor black people. Poor white people are afforded far more opportunity than poor black people. While both are most likely to remain poor, the fact is, white people in power are more likely to hire white people, and there are very few black people in power. It’s not apples to apples. It’s immensely different.

I can't even begin to tell you how awful this is. It lacks so much humanity but to compartmentalize and devalue suffering is really something. It still blows my mind how normal it's become to not only dismiss but completely shit on people because of their race.

Board footer