You are not logged in. Please register or login.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

Re: Current Events Thread

misterID wrote:

I honestly don't know how anyone could watch/read the majority of news and not see a left slant. I'm not even talking MSNBC or CNN, who seem to devote their whole programming to discussing FOX and taking up for Biden. CBS and the Times would be the biggest culprits.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

"In their report on the officer-involved shooting in Columbus, Ohio, NBC Nightly News deceptively edited the 911 call to leave out the part where the caller says a girl was "trying to stab us." They also don't show viewers the knife in the attacker's hand just before the shots. "

The cop literally shot the girl as she was bringing the knife down on the other girl, saving her life.

When the thirteen year old was shooting at cars and was chased down the alley by the cop, CBS edited the footage and removed the frame that showed the gun in the kid's hand. Anyone think that's okay?

TheSundanceKid
 Rep: 30 

Well I mean the majority of the electorate leans to the left / Center that’s just common sense.

And the thing that gets me about the right is they’re the ones who win in politics, so they’ve got to make it out that the libtards are coming for their guns and all sorts of other nonsense.

If the right got back to Roosevelt Republicanism and a sprinkle of Nixon style (not the war on drugs or Watergate. But planned parenthood(he helped pass) and the EPA, then the dynamics would shift.

This trickle down Reaganism is dead. It doesn’t work. The pieces of shit CEOs don’t care about their workers or their country.

Get behind legalization of marijuana, stop making it hard for people to vote, tax the fuck out of companies that outsource, tax business properly.

But if it’s just fuck the libtards and let’s continue this trickle down economics ball sucking, they’re not going to win.

Actually support American workers and America. That’s what the ideal Republican Party should be. The culture war is over. Yeah you can still say eat shit on progressives with cancel cultural and other things.

Being a party of cuts cuts cuts and no ideas ain’t going to fly. It will result in the American flame to  flicker and dim. And the world needs a strong America.

Cause China ain’t slowing down. She ain’t no friend to freedom.

I know I can’t watch CNN or MSNBC or Fox. The last one is pure diarrhea while the other two are shit.

I do like me the New York Times, it’s the gold standard. And the Drudge Report I go to daily. Yeah it’s got it’s slant, but, it always has breaking news before the major newspapers or networks.

It’s probably my favourite news website as it exposes you to a lot of different opinions and shit I might not agree with.

Anyhow fuck the Chinese Government and screw assholes who pack up shop and leave the US.

America first is actually putting her first. And paying your fellow man fairly and not trying to fuck Old Glory over.

Tucker is a soy boy beta cuck.

And CNN should fire that fuck Chris Cuomo.

mitchejw
 Rep: 130 

mitchejw wrote:

Just wanna say love the participation from some of the not so regulars in this thread.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
slashsfro wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:

Haley is more of a war hawk than DeSantis. Haley probably is a bigger fan of the military industrial complex.

What exactly is the GOP stand on this?  Less on defense spending and intervening in wars and shit or more military hawkishness?

James wrote:

The problem with media sort of candidates like Tucker Carlson is that I have no idea what his real thoughts are on things.  I mean he might be just saying shit for ratings or entertainment purposes.  I think he's smarter than the stuff he peddles.

It's literally for entertainment purposes only.

While I hadn't watched Fox News heavily since the early 2000s, that info turned me off to it completely.

When Fox was being sued for various shit said by Hannity, Tucker, etc. Fox admitted it wasn't meant to be real news(which is a tad ironic), for entertainment purposes only, and no one in their right mind would believe what is being said on the shows.

How this info didn't destroy their careers and kill off Fox News shows in a nutshell how fucked up this country is.

Before SG responds with "But CNN lies too!....

Yes they do. So does MSNBC. However, nothing those two outlets have done comes close to the insanity of admitting your show isn't news but propaganda disguised as entertainment.

Last week's admission by CNN that they played up Covid for ratings and to make Trump look bad is getting awfully damn close though.

I want all these media outlets regulated again.

No lies...only news. The panels of talking heads needs to be limited to a set amount of hours a week. You also have to give equal time to both sides.

I think he's smarter than the stuff he peddles.

He's an elitist...heir to the Swanson foods fortune....who plays a character on TV that relates to the common man. Millions of people fall for it. Apparently like Trump, he's mocked the idiocy of his own followers in private.

These people are despicable and insidious.

The problem on a larger scale is that these people just need to report the news and deliver facts.  I don't mind if you have one or two of these opinion shows but fuck when almost every news show is skewed with the anchor's opinions, I mean what happened to these people being neutral or objective.  Try watching the BBC or whatever.  There's very little opinion and just the simple matter of fact delivery of news stories.  And to be honest, if I wanted slanted opinon types I'd go online.

I disagree on giving both sides equal time.  If one side is peddling false shit, then NO you don't need to give them airtime.  No real time was needed to give the Dems their defund the police thing or the Republicans lie about election fraud.  That's one of the big problems  really.  It just helps one side spin and obfuscate.

As far as Carlson is concerned, I'm shocked he's still relevant given how Jon Stewart fucking nuked him on live tv in 2003.

By equal time Im talking about bringing back shows like Crossfire to replace the insanity that news is today.

Did you watch Crossfire back then? It had two hosts...one liberal, one conservative. They discussed one topic each day. They had two guests....one liberal, one conservative.

We need to make these news outlets go back to what they were in the 20th century. .
Just the facts....and a couple Crossfire type shows on each network.

It's time to go back to news being neutral. I should not know who the person giving me the news is voting for....and he/she should not be telling me what I'm supposed to think...or attempting to shame me for what I believe.

They also need to ditch the abrasive characters who intentionally stir the pot instead of giving us the news....

Rachel Maddow
Don Lemon
Chris Cuomo
Sean Hannity
Tucker Carlson

Throw these types on the ash heap of history.

James

James wrote:
TheSundanceKid wrote:

And the thing that gets me about the right is they’re the ones who win in politics, so they’ve got to make it out that the libtards are coming for their guns and all sorts of other nonsense.

Both sides use this strategy....and they are in cahoots with each other.

The red team: The liberals will take all your guns so they can create a commie hellhole!

*Red team gets in power, including a supermajority, yet does nothing to fix this*

The blue team: Republicans are going to ban abortion and you'll all be dying from back alley abortions if you don't vote for us!

*Blue team gets in power, including a supermajority, yet does nothing to fix this*

This is by design. It's how they keep their base, especially single issue voters, continually riled up.

Now we're in the era of identity politics...a virtual cancer on our country.

No....the culture war is not over. Not only is it not over, it's being placed on front Street.

The Dems....who used to be the champion of women's rights....have literally gutted Title IX. Thanks to identity politics and the dystopic Idiocracy we're sleepwalking into, a lot of women are applauding the erosion of their own rights.

This issue is going to become the new guns and abortion.... keep everyone riled up while inflicting God knows how much damage before someone sane takes the wheel.

Speaking of sanity....

If the right got back to Roosevelt Republicanism and a sprinkle of Nixon style (not the war on drugs or Watergate. But planned parenthood(he helped pass) and the EPA, then the dynamics would shift.

We definitely need a Teddy Roosevelt to fix this country before it's too late. It may already be too late...but I'd like to see someone try.

We're nearing our fork in the road moment...

We either get a Teddy Roosevelt to save us or someone that sends us over the cliff.

bigbri
 Rep: 341 

bigbri wrote:

@James There’s no fork in the road.

We’re too far down the road. We’re doomed as a country and a species. The only question is how soon it all implodes.

James

James wrote:
bigbri wrote:

@James There’s no fork in the road.

We’re too far down the road. We’re doomed as a country and a species. The only question is how soon it all implodes.

As far as runaway climate change goes...I agree.

You're right...we simply don't know how fast it's going to happen.

It could potentially be decades before it gets to the point of a genuine collapse of civilization...or it could out of the blue hit and staring extinction in the face within 5-10 years.

A great example, one they don't talk about enough, is the clathrate gun firing.

If that happens... it's all over. No way out of that disaster...not even a miracle hail Mary technology.

This issue is one of the reasons I've wanted more focus on Venus and give the Mars exploration a long rain check.

Something catastrophic happened in that planets history and we can learn from it.

bigbri
 Rep: 341 

bigbri wrote:

People will think I’m crazy, but the evidence is pretty clear, and you are starting to hear scientists say it: The extinction of our species is imminent. I certainly won’t be here, but in 100 years, I don’t think humanity will exist as it does now. Maybe small pockets of “survivors,” but I think that’s doubtful. It’s not sea rise that will kill us, it’s our destruction of the food chain.

slashsfro
 Rep: 53 

slashsfro wrote:
James wrote:

Both sides use this strategy....and they are in cahoots with each other.

The red team: The liberals will take all your guns so they can create a commie hellhole!

*Red team gets in power, including a supermajority, yet does nothing to fix this*

The blue team: Republicans are going to ban abortion and you'll all be dying from back alley abortions if you don't vote for us!

*Blue team gets in power, including a supermajority, yet does nothing to fix this*

This is by design. It's how they keep their base, especially single issue voters, continually riled up.

Now we're in the era of identity politics...a virtual cancer on our country.

No....the culture war is not over. Not only is it not over, it's being placed on front Street.

The Dems....who used to be the champion of women's rights....have literally gutted Title IX. Thanks to identity politics and the dystopic Idiocracy we're sleepwalking into, a lot of women are applauding the erosion of their own rights.

This issue is going to become the new guns and abortion.... keep everyone riled up while inflicting God knows how much damage before someone sane takes the wheel.

I agree with most of this.  I think it's funny how when both parties gain a majority they fail to accomplish things for different damn reasons.  For the Democrats it's mostly due to intra-party squabbles/fighting.  The Red team is just kind of lazy.  I mean they pass the shit they want, which is to the upper/moneyed class/corportations.  After that they don't give a shit or just don't pass anything for the working middle class.

On Abortion, I think it's just settled law and if a woman wants to get an abortion it's her choice.

Regarding identity politics, if we are talking transgernder stuff, I think they could get hurt if they take it too far.  Someone posted some tweet about complaints about a person's gender at birth.  To me, it's only male or female. I mean science tells me this.  It's a FACT.  I don't think it's wise to make such an issue on that type of matter.  It's a common sense thing to me.  If it were something like, they deserve common rights that everyone has etc, I agree with that.  But that type of stuff, no.

Board footer