You are not logged in. Please register or login.

FlashFlood
 Rep: 55 

Re: Wtf happened to…There Was a Time

FlashFlood wrote:

Still my favorite song on the album. It was obviously overworked on the finished version compared to the 06 leak, but I’m fine with it. It was designed to be overworked.

The child chorus opening/ending can go, but I like Axl’s (I think) power chords on “it was a long time for you…”. I feel it was a small miracle Axl left the Bucket solo.

AgesOfTheIce
 Rep: 10 

AgesOfTheIce wrote:

Never liked this song or got the hype. It's individual parts are good (besides the incredibly flat chorus) but feel pasted together and do not flow at all. I also prefer Robin's solo to Bucket's, which I find to be all flash and very overrated.

exoterica
 Rep: 18 

exoterica wrote:

The 99-00 version is a close fit to uyi tracks like breakdown

Robins work is great, should’ve been explored elsewhere.

The forced hook in the album version is so bad. Just an abomination of a version.

jimmythegent
 Rep: 30 

jimmythegent wrote:
AgesOfTheIce wrote:

Never liked this song or got the hype. It's individual parts are good (besides the incredibly flat chorus) but feel pasted together and do not flow at all. I also prefer Robin's solo to Bucket's, which I find to be all flash and very overrated.

My thoughts exactly. A bang average song with a hugely overhyped solo - no where near the Buckethead highlights like his solo's on "If the world" and "Sorry".
Like a lot of the record, it aims for epic but simply isn't strong enough material. Woeful cut and paste production doesn't help either.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

I gotta admit....the version on disc 1 is good and it's serviceable.

However...Bucket just takes it to another level.

He made it worthy of closing the album.

On the other hand....had it come out in 2000, we wouldn't know it was missing anything.

elevendayempire
 Rep: 96 

The demo version was better IMO. I much preferred the guitar riffs in the "It was a long time for you" bits to the heavy riff that Ron (I assume) added. And there were those really nice choppy guitar chords in the left channel during the "Yeah there was a time" section that were drowned out by these simple chords in the final mix. Plus the children's choir was a bit much.

The Guardian's review kinda nailed it:

"There Was a Time features brass, a choir, tribal drumming, cinematic strings, a hip-hop breakbeat, Tomorrow Never Knows-ish backwards tapes, a feedback-laden guitar solo and Rose's familiar wail. It should be noted that I am here describing only the first 20 seconds."

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2008/ … -democracy

mitchejw
 Rep: 130 

mitchejw wrote:

haha...is this what it's coming to...doing deep dives into songs that were released 13 years ago?

In general, I loved the demos more than the album versions for every single song. Catcher, TWAT, Better, IRS...were all better as demos and that just speaks to the half assery surrounding the release of the album. It's really sad that the final versions of the songs that were over a decade in the making were over produced nonsense.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

I'm still obsessed with the vocal in this song.

Those screams are incredible.

Old GNR fan in me would love to have heard a Slash outro on it - not the cover he does of Bucket's solo these days but like something he originally composed to fill that section. That said I enjoy the bucket solo and overall there's not really anything I would change about this one.

elevendayempire
 Rep: 96 

monkeychow wrote:

I'm still obsessed with the vocal in this song.

Those screams are incredible.

Old GNR fan in me would love to have heard a Slash outro on it - not the cover he does of Bucket's solo these days but like something he originally composed to fill that section. That said I enjoy the bucket solo and overall there's not really anything I would change about this one.

Honestly I wish they'd given the outro to Richard for the NITL tour. Either have Slash compose an entirely new solo to his taste (as he does with TIL) or get Richard to do a faithful rendition of the Buckethead solo. But getting Slash to do a half-assed version of the Bucket solo just doesn't work.

Board footer