You are not logged in. Please register or login.

slashsfro
 Rep: 53 

Re: Current Events Thread

slashsfro wrote:
misterID wrote:

There were a lot of antoi-vaxxers to begin with, so it's not so much political. A lot of people are afraid of how quickly it was developed. Some people just don't like shots.

But most people have had multiple vaccines (measles, chicken pox etc..) so I never really got the anti-vax part of that argument AT ALL.  And this thing has been out since December.  There's more than enough data to indicate that yes you should get yourself vaccinated.  I mean, if you're unvaccinated NOW, that's on you and no one else.

Randall Flagg
 Rep: 139 

slashsfro wrote:
misterID wrote:

There were a lot of antoi-vaxxers to begin with, so it's not so much political. A lot of people are afraid of how quickly it was developed. Some people just don't like shots.

But most people have had multiple vaccines (measles, chicken pox etc..) so I never really got the anti-vax part of that argument AT ALL.  And this thing has been out since December.  There's more than enough data to indicate that yes you should get yourself vaccinated.  I mean, if you're unvaccinated NOW, that's on you and no one else.

You'd be surprised how many people don't get vaccines after adult hood and the requirements dissipate.  Again, how many people get their flu shot every year?  At the start of COVID I did a poll here and it was about half.  The figures google gives me says the same amount is representative of the US as a whole. 

I'm 100% pro-vaccine and got my first shot in January.  If they make this an annual booster like the flu shot (and I think they will), I'll get it annually just like I do with the flu shot.  But people are people.  Anywhere from 9 - 50 million people get the flu annually in the US, significantly more than what is alleged to be the COVID positivity, and prior to COVID, the CDC and NIH were saying 100k people died annually from the flu in the US.  Yet half the country doesn't feel any need to get that vaccine annually. 

COVID is here to stay, and like all illnesses, it will primarily affect the elderly and those with weakened immune systems.  You can't stay in lockdown or masking forever.  And we all live in western democracies, so forcing injections in the arm of every citizen isn't going to happen.  I agree, at this point it's a personal choice whether to receive the vaccine.  My personal stance on that has been made clear.  I don't know what the actual ceiling of vaccinated people will be, allegedly 70% of US adults have had at least one shot, though the CDC and states did such a shit job collecting data, I don't know how accurate that claim is.  But I suspect we're soon at the apex of people willing to get their shot.  Sure, federal mandates for employees (if it survives court challenges) and the military will bounce numbers up a few points if we're lucky, but there's not much more carrot to give.    People should never expect not to suffer the consequences of their decisions.  At this point, I got no sympathy for anyone who refuses the vaccine and becomes ill.  It's entirely avoidable.  So let's stop babying people and let them pay the price for their choices.

mitchejw
 Rep: 130 

mitchejw wrote:
Randall Flagg wrote:
slashsfro wrote:
misterID wrote:

You'd be surprised how many people don't get vaccines after adult hood and the requirements dissipate.  Again, how many people get their flu shot every year?  At the start of COVID I did a poll here and it was about half.  The figures google gives me says the same amount is representative of the US as a whole. 

I'm 100% pro-vaccine and got my first shot in January.  If they make this an annual booster like the flu shot (and I think they will), I'll get it annually just like I do with the flu shot.  But people are people.  Anywhere from 9 - 50 million people get the flu annually in the US, significantly more than what is alleged to be the COVID positivity, and prior to COVID, the CDC and NIH were saying 100k people died annually from the flu in the US.  Yet half the country doesn't feel any need to get that vaccine annually. 

COVID is here to stay, and like all illnesses, it will primarily affect the elderly and those with weakened immune systems.  You can't stay in lockdown or masking forever.  And we all live in western democracies, so forcing injections in the arm of every citizen isn't going to happen.  I agree, at this point it's a personal choice whether to receive the vaccine.  My personal stance on that has been made clear.  I don't know what the actual ceiling of vaccinated people will be, allegedly 70% of US adults have had at least one shot, though the CDC and states did such a shit job collecting data, I don't know how accurate that claim is.  But I suspect we're soon at the apex of people willing to get their shot.  Sure, federal mandates for employees (if it survives court challenges) and the military will bounce numbers up a few points if we're lucky, but there's not much more carrot to give.    People should never expect not to suffer the consequences of their decisions.  At this point, I got no sympathy for anyone who refuses the vaccine and becomes ill.  It's entirely avoidable.  So let's stop babying people and let them pay the price for their choices.

For once…we agree on something.

If we can’t force people to get the vaccines then let them roll the dice with their consequences. It’s time to move on. The defiant will be defiant…the longer we have this debate, the more power they get. The longer we have mask mandates, the more fired up they get. The Dems will be on the losing side of this if they persist.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

They had to know cases would increase once they laxed the rules. They laxed them because we got the shots. That was the deal. There were too many who didn't get the shots not for the cases to rise. If you don't want the shots, fine. My brother refuses to get them. You live with it. But if they try to go back on their word and do another lockdown, they'll only make more people not get the shots. It's a total political decision. Hardly any vaccinated people are being hospitalized.

slashsfro
 Rep: 53 

slashsfro wrote:
mitchejw wrote:

If we can’t force people to get the vaccines then let them roll the dice with their consequences. It’s time to move on. The defiant will be defiant…the longer we have this debate, the more power they get. The longer we have mask mandates, the more fired up they get. The Dems will be on the losing side of this if they persist.

It should not be politcal at all.  I'd like to think that most people would get the shots because they want their community and cities to go back to normal and to make sure that this doesn't spread and affect those closest to them.  But that's apparently too much to ask for a large segment of the population.

It only gets "real" for these people if they catch it, then they go into the I should have gotten the vax sob story.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

Wow.... everyone here finally agreeing it's time to move on.

That's progress.

I've noticed it on Reddit as well....many libs saying fuck the masks and let's get back to normal.

This will help tremendously in removing the political element. If the media sees people from both sides moving on regardless of the reasoning, they'll stop fanning the flames and look elsewhere for fuel.

Axl S
 Rep: 112 

Axl S wrote:

I’m resigned to one day getting Covid. I’m fully vaxxed now and will get my booster shots each year but eventually one year I’ll probably get it. Hopefully by then it’s mutated down to be less dangerous and boosters help make it manageable and survivable.

The reopening in the west has probably been rushed and that’s due to bad public health messaging but can’t unfuck those mistakes. Are where we are and at least here in the U.K. we’ll have fully vaccinated most 18+ within a few weeks and be on to teenagers and the first round of booster shots. I expect those boosters will be rolled out in the same order as the initial vaccines.

The focus needs to be on helping the poorer parts of the world now so that the economy globally can recover. We are very fortunate to live where we live.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

Randall Flagg
 Rep: 139 

misterID wrote:

[/embed]

Yea, the demonizing need to stop.  I have friends and acquaintances on both sides of the extreme.  One friend, his retired school teacher mom is making fake CDC cards.  And another condemns anyone who hasn't gotten the shot as a murderer.  I personally think the anti-vaxx shit is nonsense, but I think a lot of things are nonsense.  Telling people they're "deplorable" isn't going to win them to your side, it's going to push them further away.

mitchejw
 Rep: 130 

mitchejw wrote:

At the same time, those wait and see people are why things are getting insane again. They deserve some blame and some accountability again.

Board footer