You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Saikin
 Rep: 109 

Re: "Hello 911? I'm driving drunk"

Saikin wrote:

BISMARCK, N.D. - Police get calls about drunken drivers all the time, but rarely do they come from the alleged offender.

A 17-year-old girl in Bismarck called 911 on New Year's Eve "to report herself driving under the influence," police Lt. Randy Ziegler said. "I've never heard of such a thing happening, and neither has anyone here."

The girl told authorities her location shortly before midnight Wednesday and officers found her in a parked car near downtown, Ziegler said. She failed a sobriety test and was arrested for failing to have control of her vehicle while intoxicated.

The girl, whose name was not released because of her age, was not cited for drunken driving, Ziegler said.

"Her keys were in her purse and she was parked," Ziegler said. "She did tell us that she had been driving around for hours."

The call probably was a plea for help, he said.

"She told us her life was spiraling out of control, and she had spent the majority of time drinking over the past two weeks," Ziegler said.

The girl was released to her parents Thursday.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/28474645

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

Hopefully she gets help, but not for her alcholism... for her borderline personality disorder.

This was an attempt at 'drama' imo.

Randall Flagg
 Rep: 139 

What a moron.  What was stopping her from calling a friend or god forbid, even her parents to come pick her up.  Nothing but a cry for attention.  What the fuck is so hard about the life of a teenager.  I know some young people on this board may be offended by the notion that they don't have a clue what the real world and being an adult is like, but it's true.  Homework and mommy and daddy not letting you stay out past 11:00 is not a problem.  People making fun of you at school is not a real problem. 

Get a job, live entirely on your own and then maybe you can develop some real problems.  Teenagers who can't cope with teenage bullshit have no chance at being sucessful adults and should be taken out of the gene pool.

Von
 Rep: 77 

Von wrote:

Teenage bullshit lays the foundation for that person's adult life. People making fun of you at school, the false social heirarchies encouraged especially in a high school setting, are potentially very dangerous at a time when your mature identity is still being developed. I think the people who dismiss teenage problems as moronic are too far removed from the situations themselves to sympathize with how little an adolescent mind can actually cope with to that point. If you really don't think those sorts of issues that would only affect young people are things that should be treated with care or responsibility, tell that to the kids in Littleton, Colorado. A call for help is a call for help.

Randall Flagg
 Rep: 139 

Psychotic people exist at almost any age.  Columbine is alot more complicated than simply blaming it on school bullying.  I don't dismiss that teenagers have problems, I simply don't believe their problems are generally unique or problems of any real concern.  I know it's not PC to say, but some people are just weak.  Simple fact of nature and we shouldn't cater to the victim mentality that perscibes zoloft and aderol for every teen that walks into a doctor's office.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

What's intriguing about your posts, is neither of you are wrong.

I'm majoring in psychology, and can honestly say, everything Von said is correct. But... Randall is right too. Doctors WAY over prescribe anti-anxiety and anti-depression meds, it isn't even funny.

I think to simply dismiss teenage 'bullshit' as someone just being weak, is a gross generalization. You have to look at their conditioning growing up, and their life overall. Not everyone has mentors. Not everyone has that person to talk too. Hell... some don't have that, and are still strong-willed because of it. Everyone is a little bit different.

It might seem small and lame to you, but to a 16 year old... girl... we'll say, in her mind - school is her life. Teachers & students only enhance this. If little Peggy Sue is crazy about Jake the football jock, in her mind, it's all she drives for, all she lives for, and for a girl, their hormones are even more out of whack than guy's. To then be disdained by this person, can be an almost suicide-inducing blow to their psyche.

It might not seem like a big deal to me or you, but them - it's world ending.

It all has to do with perception. I think the key actually is convincing kids - school isn't a big deal. It means nothing in the scheme of life. Teachers ride your ass to do work, that will be meaningless in just a couple of years. Teachers ride kids to dedicate their time to social activities, that no one will give a fuck you were homecoming queen in two years. These things do not benefit kids in any way. It negatively reinforces a VAIN and POINTLESS concept, which just drives some kids to insanity.

I've always had a concept of one period a day for 'therapy'. It's a free class that kids can attend, and the floor is open. They can talk, discuss, debate, hash things out - with words. Then a psychologist who runs the class, can help the students put these things in perspective for the students. There would be no homework, no dress code. If the students simply want to use the class to do homework, so they can have fun after school - feel free.

I feel this would better prepare the student, the teenager, to confront adulthood. To deal with it. And to understand the responsibility it brings.

Maybe i'm oversimplifying, is I think some of these kids just need an authorative figure to walk into their lives, IN FRONT of their peers, and say "fuck Principal Skinner", "fuck the football team", "fuck what Suzy thinks about you"... how do YOU feel?

Alot of these kids feel like NO ONE gets them, NO ONE understands them, and the biggest reason I understand this is... I felt that way too. Everyone told me I had no real issues to worry about, no real concerns, you don't understand, you're too young... and it was very lonely, isolated, and depressing. On the outside, it might not have seemed to be, but in my mind, it was my existance. And to have someone deny that... that's a tough place to be.

Then I grew up, felt the same way, but discovered adulthood and realized all that shit you learned in four years of high school, all that shit you were told... throw it out the window. It doesn't apply.

I have friends & family who are under-age, and I try to give them guidance of the real world, and how high school, teenage drama is really a waste of time, to look at the bigger picture. BUT... even with my best advice, they still feel the same way. I sound like a cliched old man, telling them their problems aren't real.

Randall's ideas are not off, but are simply not practical. Unless you want to make sure every psycho kid has a Dr. Loomis running around to put six shots from a pistol in them, then we have to confront and deal with the issue. And if the issue doesn't get dealt with at a young age... then they probably ain't ever gonna deal with the bullshit at all. And most lazy ass teachers & parents would like that way.

Some people just don't give a fuck what their kid thinks or feels.

mitchejw
 Rep: 130 

mitchejw wrote:
Randall Flagg wrote:

Psychotic people exist at almost any age.  Columbine is alot more complicated than simply blaming it on school bullying.  I don't dismiss that teenagers have problems, I simply don't believe their problems are generally unique or problems of any real concern.  I know it's not PC to say, but some people are just weak.  Simple fact of nature and we shouldn't cater to the victim mentality that perscibes zoloft and aderol for every teen that walks into a doctor's office.

I think that mentality is what gets kids to this point in the first place.

"Fuck you...you're problems are stupid...go do your homework."

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

PaSnow wrote:

Some teens have issues. This chick did not. "I've had a drinking problem for 2 weeks. My life is spiraling out of control!"  In other words, high school let out for vacation 2 weeks ago & she got drunk a couple of times. Big deal. She was probably drunk & driving around without an idea where to head to, then got tired & the booze sunk in. Wahhhhh I'm gonna call the police.

Life sucks, get a helmet. 22

Board footer